Today is the day of the Twitter tantrum known as #TheTriggering, a contrived hashtag in which the Internet’s biggest jerks have decided to post crap that is slightly more jerky than the crap they usually post.
I’ve been poking around in the hashtag for a couple of hours and I have to say it’s pretty underwhelming. There’s a great deal of highly predictable racism, transphobia, and misogyny. There are anime-avatarred fat shamers, Anita Sarkeesian haters pitching fits, Trump fans joking about the Holocaust, and even a few Men’s Rights activists. The hashtag reeks of undeserved self-satisfaction.
The only genuinely funny or original Tweets in the hashtag come from the feminists and other so-called Social Justice Warriors who’ve crashed the party with Tweets intended to trigger the triggerers.
And yet I have somehow managed to find a few lessons in all of this. And so, without further ado, here are The Top Ten Things I’ve Learned from the Twitter Tantrum that is #TheTriggering (So Far).
1) Fat haters don’t proofread their tweets very carefully:
2) And neither do racists:
3) Blah blah blah blah blah blah vaginas
4) Blah blah blah blah blah blah cucks
Feminism is trying to turn all straight white males into faggots, trans and cucks #TheTriggering
— MR MARMITE (@Mr_Marmite247) March 9, 2016
Hitler was misunderstood, Trump is misunderstood, all you liberal cucks are latinophobes, nver talk about moving to Mexico #thetriggering
— Vali-Norse God of Revenge (@footbrawler) March 9, 2016
5) There’s a weird overlap between #TheTriggering participants and dudes who almost certainly did very poorly on the analogies questions on the SAT
Breastfeeding your baby in a restaurant is the same as taking your own booze into a pub. You shouldn't. #TheTriggering
— Craig Brown (@CreggehBroon) March 9, 2016
6) There’s also a weird overlap between Trump supporters, castration advocates, revenge porn lovers, and haters of Marilyn Monroe. That overlap calls himself “Riv.”
7) Words can’t hurt you …
#thetriggering if you are hurt by words you should not be not the Internet.
— The Hentai Man (@TheConfused007) March 9, 2016
8) Except when they can
9) Bernie Sanders may be a slackjawed grocery-store farter
10) It’s somehow unfair for the media to point out offensive tweets in a hashtag devoted to posting offensive tweets
The media will ignore the 99.99% of smart #TheTriggering tweets and write about the tiny fraction of ones that are actually racist.
— Paul Joseph Watson (@PrisonPlanet) March 9, 2016
I imagine I will learn more lessons from #TheTriggering before the day is done.