feminism life before feminism marriage strike misogyny MRA

Life Before Feminism: Playing "Old Maid"

Damn her and her high IQ!

Sometimes it’s useful to remember just what the early second wave feminists were reacting against. Here, from a comic circa 1970 (judging from the clothing) is a sort of double-whammy of misogyny: hide your smarts, girls, or you’ll end up a wizened old maid at the ripe old age of … twenty?

The MRAs today who prattle on about how declining marriage rates mean that men are wising-up to the evils of feminism need to remind themselves that delaying marriage is a good thing for both men and women (the earlier the marriage, the greater the likelihood of divorce; the later the marriage, the more time for men and women to get decent education, start a career, mature a bit, etc etc). In the fifties, obviously, the pressure for women (and to a lesser degree, men) to marry very young was immense. This comic suggests that these pressures didn’t vanish with the coming of the sixties counterculture or even with the first stirrings of second wave feminism.

Comic from Comically Vintage.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

“So lets do a little math of our own, kinda like independent thinking. I know it’s scary for all you higher acedemia folks but lets give it a whirl. ”

Translation: lets ignore actual data, which might hurt my theory, and instead do some questionable logic on actaul data that I’ll over-generalize about.

“Someone also said something about marriages with children failing less frequently. Well survey says the #1 answer for men was “for the children” which was given at about twice the rate as women. Men have a lot more to lose, (children, asstes, ect.).”

Translation: I know that the factor I keep saying is the reason people get divorced is the factor you say actually prevent divorces, but I’m not going to make that obvious. Instead, I’m gonna ignore the implications of the real data and just repeat my screed; people agree with repetition more than fact.

Mr. Slave, With the first quote you are missing the point that the “under 20” category is split into two groups, and that the younger group has less stable marriages than the older group. Ignoring that entirely isn’t going to make you right. Nor will ignoring the fact that marriages with children don’t end in divorce as often. Yes, men (and women), care a lot about kids when they are present. They are important, and its thought that because of their importance some married couples attempt to avoid divorce for the children’s sake. This is almost entirely opposite to your claim, that women are divorcing just to get kids and child support.

Ami Angelwings

@NWO you’re the one who is strawing yourself xD I want you to elaborate, not run and hide -_-;; for that matter NOBODY is changing the topic.. MORE DETAILS! you seem so frightened to actually explain the A to B to C to D of the matter.. you say A and then you say Z and then you whine when nobody understands you xD

DETAILS, put it ALL OUT HERE! 😀

The ENTIRE thing! Your entire worldview! 😀 Do iiiitttttttt xD

I know you want ppl to strawman or something so you can avoid it, but srsly, c`mon 😀

XDDDDD

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD <— see even the holy symbol is there 😀

Alex

Mr. Slave,

“Ami Angelwings What the hell does XD mean that you constantly post. Does it mean anything?”

Are you that ignorant by choice, or does it come naturally? *sigh* Rotate it so that the X sits on top of the D, and you get a face that is laughing very hard. It’s called an emoticon, such as the “smilie” which involve a “:” followed by a right “)”. If the you use a “;” instead, you get a winking face. Now, next time, do just a teeny tiny bit of research on your own, and you’ll know without looking like an idiot. Keep that in mind for all the other issues you’re so passionate about. Who knows? You might actually discover that you’re wrong.

…I can’t believe I actually had to fucking explain that…

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

“I’m afraid hellkell thats how it goes. For every man a woman has sex with her ability to form a lasting relationship drops by about 7 or 8%. (note high divorce rate).”

I’ve already responded a bit, but bwaaa? NWO, are women the only ones that marry multiple times, or are they just the only ones that instigate divorce? When men marry multiple times, they don’t have the same rise in divorce rate? And how the flying fuck does a woman marrying multiple times translate to a woman having sex with a guy?

Molly Ren

Ami, I have had quite a few sex partners, but I can still tell them all apart!

Actually, when forced to compare them all it goes like this: One was good at topping but not so good at communicating. One I had a good relationship with but then he moved to another state for a job and the relationship had to end. One I had a lot in common with intellectually, but he tended to make disparaging remarks about my body.

So, in a partner, I’d like someone who is okay with talking about what they need, lives locally, and doesn’t put me down. But aren’t these qualities that you need in *any* relationship for it to work long-term?

(PS The current one is local and nice but still working on the communication part. He’s getting better! Two out of three, yes?) 😛

Spearhafoc

or ask me questions about some totally off topic.

There’s no point in actually addressing what you say because nothing you say has any value whatsoever. A typical argument with you runs like this:

Slavey: Water is dry!

Other poster: No, water is wet.

Slavey: Stop being a snail!

Other poster: I’m not a snail. I’m a human.

Slavey: Water is dry, and you’re a snail!

Other poster: When water is in liquid form, it’s wet. A liquid can’t be dry, by definition. Also, snails can’t type. I’m typing, so clearly I’m not a snail.

Slavey: Oh, I’m so sorry. I’m clearly too stupid to know what water is. Oh, educate me, you super-genius.

Hippodameia
Hippodameia

“There’s no point in actually addressing what you say because nothing you say has any value whatsoever.”

Repeated for emphasis.

Spearhafoc

for that matter NOBODY is changing the topic..

To be fair, I am. It doesn’t seem worth it to actually debate someone who’s incapable of learning anything.

Pecunium

NWO: What numbers? You make shit up. When presented with refutory citations you say, Silly children with their silly sites that say what they want to hear., and the quote yourself to us as if your unsubstantiated words (and mangled arithmetic) are somehow more to be believed than actual data.

You insist on believe what you want to believe, and then act as if your fantasies and mythology are proven facts.

You never answer questions, and then lie about not getting answers to yours. You may mislike how I talk to, or more often about you, but you’ve yet to actually engage anyone honestly; projection is about the most complex of your debating skills, and it’s not even relieved by decent rhetoric.

So, as best I can I’ll go back to ignoring you… until once again the sheer mass of your ignorance makes me feel the need to point out, to your face (again) just how inane you are being.

Sadly, I suspect the same levels of frustration are why so many other people toss scraps beneath your bridge. The stupid, it burns. The ignorance, it appalls.

The willful mendacity, obstinate refusal to engage in the questions put to you, while dissembling about the answers you get all combine to make you (though you will misunderstand it, and think it some form of bizarre complement) one of the more malodorous and disingenuous people it has been my misfortune to see as a regular commenter.

It’s some rarefied company, would that it were merely rare.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Repeated as well, with the added “You never bother to prove to us that you are correct, you just demand we prove you wrong.”

Molly Ren

But it’s FUN to poke the troll under the bridge, Spearhafoc!

(Also, did I mention that I’m an intellectual masochist?)

sarahejones

@thefemalespectator: Thank you! And I have no idea how people juggle it either, it was hard enough for me to wonder how my married college friends actually finished college and sustained healthy marriages without losing their minds. My school definitely fostered the impression that women are out for their MRS, however. Particularly since it was a Christian school, and a conservative one at that, and the accepted gender roles were quite narrow. I got a label as a bitch without even really trying, simply because I identified as trying. I suppose I’d rather be labelled an ambitious bitch than a aspirant housewife, though it’s not much of choice.

And I may not be the best at math, but NWO, you’re even worse. At least attempt to back up these assertions if you expect anyone to take you seriously. And if you don’t, then we’re hardly the ones running back to, what was it, Safe IC World? Grow up. Face reality. Your narrow paradigm doesn’t work. It’s just as faulty as the one my college attempted to force down the student body’s throats.

Ami Angelwings

@Molly Ren And I’m an intellectual MASSAGIST xD

Molly Ren

@Ami You gently massage people’s brains?

Ami Angelwings

Okay NOBODY but Spearhafoc is xD

See, I’ll correct myself when new information arises! :3 *sets a good example*

Ami Angelwings

@Molly Ren you make it sound so sordid! xD

Molly Ren

I was imagining it as something more gooey and zombie-like. Though sometimes I wish something like that existed when I have a massive headache.

Pecunium

tofu nutloaf: I disagree, in the reality based community we call it lies.

Once is bullshit. Two or three times is being unwilling to face the facts of one’s error.

But the level of repetition in the face of facts (this isn’t the first time the discussion has had divorce rates in it, and it’s not the only set of figures provided which disprove his assertion, and it’s not only been in response to claims he’s made) is constant enough, repeated enough, and almost always married to attempts to belittle and juvenilise his opposition; without actually responding to the data, that the only honest word for what he does is lying.

That, or he’s more stupid than his actual ability form coherent sentences implies. I don’t know which is more charitable, calling him a liar, or stupid beyond belief.

Since I can’t believe he is that stupid, I am forced to conclude he lies.

Alex

I want a brain massage!

@Molly Ren,

I completely concur! Poking trolls is fun.

Hehe *poke poke*

Johnny Pez

Watch out, Slavey, IT’S A TRAP!

Ami’s repeated XD has nothing to do with emoticons (that’s not even a word, the feminists just made it up!) and everything to do with the CONSPIRACY!

XD stands for XenoDestiny, and is an indication of approval for the coming One World Government, when foreigners will rule the former United States and all True Patriots will be rounded up and incarcerated in the FEMA Death Camps.

Fight the future! The truth is out there! WOLVERINES!

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

XD!

Pecunium

XD

XD

Molly Ren

XD! (Because us ladies will join anything involving Wolverines.)

Hippodameia