aggrieved entitlement alt-right antifeminism entitled babies literal nazis men who should not ever be with women ever MGTOW misogyny MRA trump whitepocalypse

Surviving the Trumpocalypse

His fingers are long and beautiful
His fingers are long and beautiful

When I began this blog six years ago, the Men’s Rights Movement was little more than a curiosity. I’ve watched, with both amusement and alarm, as this small movement has inspired, and ultimately has been eclipsed by, a broader anti-feminist, anti-woman backlash, online and off, driven largely by the same white male rage.

Each new iteration of this backlash has been more toxic — and, sadly, more influential — than the last, ultimately culminating in the rise of the alt-right. Which is to say, the newest incarnation of fascism.

Now the openly racist, openly misogynistic idol of the alt-right has been elected president. Obviously, not everyone who voted for Trump was white or male. But his candidacy was powered in large part by the same kind of white male rage I have been writing about virtually every day for the last six years.

While Trump’s election is, without question, a catastrophe — in ways I will be chronicling in detail over the next few months and years — Trumpism isn’t built to last. Trump’s victory was a narrow one — indeed, he actually lost the popular vote — and the demographic group that served as the backbone of his movement (white men) is shrinking relative to those groups Trump has railed against.

In many ways, Trumpism seems to be a classic example of an “extinction burst,” a term used by behavior psychologists to describe a weird and seemingly paradoxical pattern of behavior. As Popsugar summed it up in a post earlier this week:

[W]hen a certain type of behavior or action isn’t really getting its desired results any longer — say, a child’s tantrums failing to get Mom or Dad’s attention — there’s often a period when a subject struggles even harder, makes more noise, and generally throws an extremely loud fit. In other words, extinction burst is that last-ditch ramping up before an inevitable flame-out.

Trumpism, like all backlashes, is doomed to fail. Unfortunately, it is likely to do a tremendous amount of damage before it goes, not so gently, into that good night. In the meantime, I will do my best to make sense of the toxic stew of racism and misogyny at the heart of Trumpism, and to provide support for those fighting against it or just trying to get by). And so I’ve changed the tagline of this blog from “the new misogyny, tracked and mocked” to “surviving the Trumpocalypse” to reflect this broader focus.

Don’t worry: I will still be writing about MGTOWs and MRAs and the other strange misogynistic creatures that I’ve been writing about from the beginning. While I recognize they are but a sideshow in the era of Trump, I just can’t quit them, and I suspect that a lot of you can’t either.

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

@Jack:

What the hell. Has he a list of 205 infiltrators that’s probably actually a love note from his wife?

Hambeast
Hambeast

Thanks all! I figured out that my delayed reaction probably has to do with the fact that I was medicated (medical cannabis) Tuesday Wednesday. I’mma go back to just using for pain and not psychic maladies for a while. The sobriety was just another slap to my psyche last night, I think.

I’m feeling marginally better, hungry as hell but still don’t want to eat. Eating lightly anyway. No worries about wasting away at my size, though. Not for nothin’ I took the nym Hambeast!

ETA: Love and solidarity Mammothers!

tim gueguen

I’ve never seen The Princess Bride. Never seen The Big Lebowski either.

Imaginary Petal
Imaginary Petal

@Jack

“Bad news, Donald. The Committee says we’re the Nazis.”

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

Ugh, Jack. And a Trump surrogate was recently on TV, literally bragging about Trump building up an “enemies” list.

David – I mean this – stay safe. Please.

Cynical Optimist
Cynical Optimist

@Imaginary Petal

Oh, that the world was so kind.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Don’t ask me, don’t ask me nothin’, I don’t have any idea, I don’t know why, I don’t know how, I just don’t know, I know less than nothing, I have no idea, I don’t even understand the question, for real, what does that have to do with the article, I just don’t know, I just don’t know.

I’ve never seen The Princess Bride. Never seen The Big Lebowski either.

You’re missing out, unless you’re Cassidy.

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

@Jack:

The list of 205 infiltrators I mentioned is a reference to a similar list that Joseph McCarthy had in his hand while giving a speech about the reds under every bed. It has also been said that that document was actually a love note from his wife.

newbie
newbie

It is not an extinction burst, David. If only.

Fascism is on the rise world over today, as it was before, and as it will be in the future, if we fail to learn from our mistakes, as we continue to do.

These movements reoccur with some regularity, but America has been spared so far. Trump’s ascent to power shows as clearly as it is needed for Americans to finally see that yes, it can happen here too.

Let’s hope we will learn from it as we should. If we survive it, that is.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

Tell that to the Japanese people who were put into internment camps in America during WWII, or the people who were accused of being communist and locked away during the Red Scare, or all the people who died during the AIDs crisis because Reagan hated queer and black people enough to not help them die and put forth anti-drug laws that led to a huge influx of black and latinx people put in prison for minor drug charges, or to the tribes whose lands are being fucked over by DAPL and the government.

Plenty of people have been affected by fascist laws and ideas in America, and we don’t need an openly more fascist government to see that, we need to stop it.

newbie
newbie

Given that, as you say, America has had plenty of experiences with fascism on its own soil, why hasn’t that fact — and the knowledge it should have imparted — prevented Trump’s rise to power? Why have Americans not learned anything (or enough) from those experiences?

I’m not being argumentative; just pointing out that somehow those lessons that should have been learned, weren’t. Thus Trump now.

My point — on the apparent necessity to repeat painful lessons until their message sinks in — stands.

Yes, we do need to stop it. That means we have to start learning, en masse, what it is that we are doing wrong that allows someone like Trump to become president.

And no, I’m not asking for enumeration of those ills, not on this forum.

Belladonna
Belladonna

@Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

In an area heavy with Mormons — adherents of a particularly misogynistic, homophobic, and far-right religion

As an inhabitant of the Mormon state myself who knows and loves and understands a lot of Mormons, I had this weird knee-jerk reaction of wanting to defend Mormonism. I mean, my Mormon grandparents were dyed-in-the-wool FDR democrats until the day they died. And despite polygamy, there is a lot of interesting near-feminist strangeness in early Mormon history. But no, I’m not going to try to defend Mormonism. So weird that I would even be inclined to. I’ll just share this fantasy I had before the election, in case it’s remotely interesting to anyone.

So, misogynistic and homophobic as Mormons may be, Trump himself is also deeply antithetical to traditional Mormon values. So my fantasy was that maybe, just maybe, Mormons would actually be completely true to their principles and McMullin would win in Utah. And then, even though every bit of advertising I saw for McMullin was about “I really want to overturn Roe v. Wade and Trump only pretends to want to,” I would be really, really happy, because it would have denied six electoral votes to Trump and could have been the very first time in my voting life when Utah made any kind of difference in the presidential vote, rather than being just a taken-for-granted check in the Republican column. For about five minutes, I even considered voting for McMullin, just in case it was possible.

In the end, of course, it turned out that those six electoral votes would not have made a difference, anyway. And it seems Mormons have long come to value materialism above many of their traditional values. So much for the New Order that my great-great-grandfather tried. But it was a nice fantasy for a minute.

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer

David – I mean this – stay safe. Please.

Seconded! Dave and everyone!

abars01
abars01

So, folks, like many here, after spending a few days just recuperating from the shock, I’ve decided that, in order to fight against Trump and the rise of the far-right in general, I need to do my part and become more proactively left-wing. As stated in the previous comment thread, I am a citizen of Australia, and resident of Melbourne, so my avenues for responding to Trump himself are limited, and my efforts would probably be better concentrated on responding to our own far-right, as represented by Pauline Hanson and the One Nation party. I’m not quite so sure where to start, though, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I’ve already decided on the following:

* I’m going to look and see if there are any socialist, feminist, environmentalist, anti-racist, anti-Trump, gay rights, pro-choice, etc. rallies going on and if there are, I’m going to attend them.

* I’m going to donate some money to an organisation belonging to one of the above-mentioned ideologies. Suggestions for organisations are appreciated. I’d like to give some to an American one so that I can more directly respond to Trump. Is it possible for non-Americans to donate to the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, SPLC, etc.?

* I’m going to the public library to see if they’ve got any books pertinent to the above-mentioned ideologies – To Kill a Mockingbird or Black Like Me or The Female Eunuch or whatever – and if there are, I’m going to rent and read them. Suggestions for books are appreciated.

* I’m going to buy DVDS of Bella and the Bulldogs, The Birth of a Nation, Ghostbusters, Mad Max: Fury Road, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Zootopia, etc. Every movie from recent years that the alt-right has ranted about. When Hidden Figures, Loving, Queen of Katwe, Wonder Woman and every other movie that the alt-right doubtlessly will rant about come out, I’m seeing them in the cinema.

I’m a bit iffy regarding the following things:

* I’ve considered wearing a T-shirt reading “proud cuck” or “proud libtard” or something, but that might result in me getting assaulted, or becoming a target of online harassment and abuse for years, as happened to Chanty Binx and “Carl the Cuck” and “Trigglypuff”. Plus, I’m dubious as to whether it’d actually accomplish much.

* I’ve considered boycotting America per se, but I’m not sure how feasible that would be, considering how many multinational corporations and how much mass media is American. And again, I’m dubious as to whether it would actually accomplish much.

I want to do something, however small, to stick-it to Trump and the alt-right. Just point me in the right direction. Tell me what I should do, what I should join, what I should read, who I should give money to, who I should write to. I want to help, I want to do my part.

Jamborina Squib
Jamborina Squib

@EJ (The Orphic Lizard)

Trigger Warning: Body Focused Repetitive Behaviour

While I have never lived with an eating disorder, I know what you mean about something being triggered by current events. I have trichotillomania (I pull hair and chew on it) and have actually been pretty good for a few months now, have been cutting my hair short so that there’s little to pull, and it’s been growing in pretty nice and full.

That changed the day after the election. It’s hard to keep my hands out of my hair, and I feel stupid for doing it again when I was going so well. Sadly, it’s the body’s response to stress. I don’t know where I’m going with this, I just wanted to reach out and say you’re not alone.

Handsome "Punkle Stan" Jack

I think you’re heavily disregarding people’s lives if you think a fascist regime is gonna wake anyone up. You’re saying it’s okay to throw the most disenfranchised and vulnerable under the bus for a lesson. Who’s lesson? Over 50% of white people voted for Dump compared to the over 90% of PoC that voted for him. Do you think white people are gonna learn anything when most of the policy Dump and Pince will be enacting won’t effect them nearly as hard as it would PoC? You think cis gender, hetrosexual people are gonna get it as bad compared to queer people? You think Christians are gonna get shit on just as much as Muslims? As Jewish people? It’s just gonna fuck over the people who speak the loudest against it.

I don’t know if you’re American, but if you’re fucking European you should be double ashamed of yourself for what you’ve said considering you fuckers dealt with Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin and yet your policies are going right back to the fascism that they were just a few decades ago.

And if you’re specifically British, you should be quadruply ashamed. At least Dump is in the office against the will of the majority, as most of us voted for Clinton and Kaine while the electoral college is leaning towards Dump; ya fuckers fucking voted yourself out of the EU and into xenophobia all by your own people’s hands.

But if you’re American, you better fucking hope to satan that the goddamn electoral college pulls their head out of their ass and puts Clinton in office or we’re all fucking screwed, buddy.

Lastly, fuck you and the horse you rode in on.

(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer
(((VioletBeauregarde))): Crooked Nasty Social Justice Necromancer

@abars01: These are all great, I’m planning to do many of these things.
Book suggestions: Dietland, Fatland, Herland, The Princess Saves Herself In This One, Snow White Has Her Say, Thus Saith Eve, Jezebel: The Untold Story of the Bible’s Harlot Queen, the Outlander series, the Bregdan Chronicles, Shrill (by the badass Lindy West), No Shades of Grey (short but sweet), The Secret Life of Bees, Sluts (by Christine Stockton)

I liked those books, I apologize if you end up not liking them.

Laugher at Bigots, Mincing Betaboy

@Belladonna:

I never said anything about Mormons as people; all my relatives (save some distant ones) are Mormon and generally fine people. I said that they are “adherents of a misogynistic, homophobic, and far-right religion”. The religion is indeed far-right, as Ezra Taft Benson, Secretary of Agriculture under President Eisenhower and Mormon apostle, gave an address in General Conference about how the Civil Rights movement was a “Communist programme for revolution in America”. It is indeed homophobic, as it recently instituted a policy defining same-sex marriage as “apostasy” — one of the most serious sins in Mormonism. It is indeed misogynistic, as it has been a staunch defender of traditional gender roles and enemy of feminism, one apostle even saying that feminists were a threat to the Mormon Church.

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@newbie,

Most people learned about fascism from school and from media/video games, in the guise of villains being brilliant and dastardly.

Some people learned that fascism is terrible because of all the people they killed and the freedoms they crushed, and that we should stop them.

Some people learned that fascism is broken because it’s a failed economic structure that’s less efficient than capitalism, and that it produces a political and military hierarchy with dubious coherence, and oh yeah some people died.

Some people learned that fascism is bad, but there’s nothing inherently wrong with it if the right people are in charge, and by the way I read Plato’s Republic and it seemed like a great idea to me, and oh yeah some people died, but that wasn’t the fascism, that was Hitler.

Some people learned that fascism is fuckin’ sweet, because look how badass they are, they don’t take shit from anyone and they don’t afraid of nobody, and look at how sweet their clothes are, and some people died because they wouldn’t stay in their fuckin’ lane wooo MAGA

I could do an analysis of the educational outcomes of the historical studies courses of America, but I don’t have the data needed for it.

Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent
Troubelle: Moonbeam Malcontent

@Scildfreja

In operation, it ought to be a combination of the first two: it’s terrible if you’re not Who They Like, and even if you are Who They Like, a) it’s not certain that won’t change and b) it’s broken, and it’s gonna fail anyway, and you’ll have to pick up the pieces, so you may as well do it better the first time.

-bluh-

Mels
Mels

I don’t have the spoons right now to read through this whole thread, so apologies for the interruption.

Just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you David for continuing to do this work as this catastrophe unfolds. Please take care of yourself.

Otrame
Otrame

@ Valery

You said “I’ve been a lurker here for quite a long time; I love the posts, and the comments. But, this one has me perplexed. ”

You say you don’t understand why people are freaked. Maybe I can help. Someone who has been the closest friend in my adult life, a woman who was in the Air Force for 20 years, was Chairperson of Nuclear Medicine at a major military hospital, who is gentle and kind and good, just wrote this to me:

“For the first time in a long time I feel like I have to watch people. … I feel like I have a target on my back. I wonder and fret about walking alone in isolated places with hick-looking people present. I’m angry that his gaining the presidency has made me afraid. I’m worried that I am becoming more bigoted myself. I’m putting labels on people based what they look like. … I don’t feel like the law protects me now. I thought that at this time of my life I was considered a well-accepted part of society. Now I feel like one of the dreaded ‘others’. …[T]his fool IS influencing how I react because I’ve lost a lot of trust in people. I’m cutting myself off from Trumpsters because I feel like I don’t know that they will act in civilized manner. I feel like Neo and I’m waking up to what America is really like.”

This wonderful woman does not deserve this. And she’d not being paranoid. Kids at one of her local schools were given “Deportation Certificates” by one of their classmates. Imagine that. Imagine how you would feel when you were in high school if someone did that to you. Pay attention to what is happening all over the country.

I have black and hispanic grandchildren. I am terrified for them, especially my 16-year-old grandson, who is the absolute light of my life. I have LGBT family members. My sister was only able to deal with a snakebite because she was on ACA. Otherwise she would probably have lost the forefinger on her dominant hand. I have a niece diagnosed with MS last year. When the ACA gets repealed, she’ll be unable to get any medical care, because the insurance companies will start denying benefits for previous diagnoses just like they used to do.

Do you understand now?

Next time. Please vote for the lesser of two evils. Just… PLEASE.

The Adjunct
The Adjunct

Hi all, just wanted to pipe in again.

I second? Third? All the concerns about Russia. Started learning the language in 2001 and studied Political Science and specifically Russian and Russian/Post Soviet Area Studies in university. Have always thought Putin was a scary mofo. The more I learned, the more scared I get. I’m of Ukrainian descent, great grandparents emigrated from Lviv, etc so studying Russian was a way to connect with my roots iykwim. Teal deer; I’ve been that woman, the one people think is always overreacting about Russia, but seriously guys, Putin is fucking smart as fuck and he’s been playing the long game for a long time. He’s patient and he’s playing the world like a game of multidimensional chess. I don’t think it would benefit anyone to discount the very real influence he has in global politics.

It’s especially worrying given Paul Manafort’s direct ties to Yanukovich. And ever other bit of evidence linking Trump with Russia. Trump really will be a puppet.

Also, I’m very concerned about Peter Thiel’s role in the administration. Another aggressive, vindictive, monied foe of journalism. If he could take down Gawker, what else would he do?

Scildfreja Unnýðnes
Scildfreja Unnýðnes

@Otrame, much love to you and yours. The loss of the ACA is absolutely chilling, horrifying in ways I can barely describe; all of the rampant fear and hate and violence on display is gut-curdling. I’m just glad that the American heart and will for freedom is strong.

Valerie
Valerie

I am just not seeing it where I live. My oldest two children are biracial, and their father is also British. Last night was my son’s football banquet at our rural, predominantly white school, and I asked my son if anything negative has happened at school due to Trump winning. He look at me like I was an idiot, and asked me if something was supposed to happen. During the banquet, the loudest cheers went out to a black and a middle eastern football player. It was wonderful, and the boys were so proud of themselves (as they should be).
A good friend of mine (a very vocal trump supporter), is full blooded Native American, with a large blended family, and a biracial step-son. Neither him, his children, or other members of his family have been harassed, or assaulted. My gay friends and their children have not been harassed either…..
Long story short, us hillbilly types seem to be far more tolerant than the news media would have you assume.
This presidential election was the equivalent of choosing between Stalin, and Hitler. Neither candidate is qualified to represent the American people, and just because I refused to vote does not mean that I deserve to be called names on here. I was under the impression that this was a group of individuals that opposed name calling, and cruelty to others……or perhaps I am not liberal enough to be in this special club?

1 5 6 7 8 9 15