antifeminism douchebaggery irony alert misogyny MRA penises

The brief history of the brief career of the (unofficial) goodwill ambassador from planet Good Men Project

On a fairly regular basis, Man Boobz is visited by commenters of an MRAish disposition. There are many varieties. Some start off by trying to post rape threats and other such unpleasantness, and their comments never see the light of day. Some leave a few irritated comments and head off, never to be seen again. Some manage to stick around long enough to become Man Boobz institutions.

One interesting variety: the ones who come here, they claim, to discuss the issues with us in good faith. In most cases it becomes quickly evident that they are not interested in real discussion at all, as they ignore what most of the commenters here say to them to instead argue with the straw feminists who live in their heads.

Soon many of these alleged good-faith arguers drop the pretense entirely and lash out with nasty personal attacks. At this point they go on moderation, or find themselves banned entirely.

The latest such meltdown was a fairly quick one. For those who don’t regularly read the comments, here’s a brief history of John Anderson’s brief career (so far) as an unofficial goodwill ambassador to Man Boobz from planet Good Men Project.

An anti-feminist dude who generally hangs out at the Good Men Project, Mr. Anderson arrived at Man Boobz Prime on July 2nd, bright-eyed and bushy tailed, eager to learn from and about the feminist commenters here, and to convince some of us to join him and the other commenters at the GMP in healthy and fruitful dialogue.

In one of his first comments here, he explained the reason for his coming here:

I promised some feminists, who I really admire, at The Good Men Project that I would initially engage feminists without assuming that they are misandrist, a very difficult task for me at least. I think that I’ve mostly lived up to that promise so far as I’ve asked for clarifications and I’ve used qualifiers like seems. I can understand if this comment was written in frustration, but understand that I and any new visitor to the site won’t understand the back story if there is one and the comment just comes off as being dismissive of male victimization.

In a further comment he explained that he was trying to do his part to save the Men’s Rights movement from the angry ideologues:

I was on a voice for men a while back. They had nothing but contempt for the GMPers. I’m certain that I’ll cross paths with them. It is my heartfelt intent to reclaim my movement from people who would disgrace it.

Five minutes later, alas, we learned that he had determined we were all a bunch of misandrists after all.

I only promised not to assume that feminists were misandrists. Once proven, it is no longer an assumption.

Oh, wait, not all of us. But we are a bunch of meanies:

I don’t think all the commentators hate men or are necessarily closed minded to other view points. I actually stepped away from a safe space to engage people who don’t see things the way I do. The feeling that I get is that there is great hostility to anyone who may consider men to be victims under any circumstance….

I’ve quoted DOJ and CDC statistics and included page numbers or links on an article that says that we shouldn’t be angry over truthful statistics. I’ve been told that the statistics have been spun. Maybe I should have refrained from that SHOCKED bit. I probably should have considered the feelings of the people on this site. I’d consider apologizing, but too many people here seem mean.

As far as I can tell, he determined that I was a misandrist because I downplayed the fact that more men are murdered than women by writing the following sentence in the OP:

While four times as many men are murdered than women, only 5% of murdered men are killed by “intimates.”

I remain a bit baffled as to how a sentence that starts by noting that four times as many men are murdered than women is downplaying the fact that, well, four times as many men are murdered than women. You can go read the whole discussion yourself and see if you can figure it out.

The meltdown followed not long afterwards. In one comment, Mr. Anderson suggested, as far as I can figure it, that [TW: RAPE APOLOGETICS] women regularly decide whether or not to charge a man with rape after they determine how good their rapist is in bed:

When is a woman responsible for her own rape because it wasn’t worth fighting over? Maybe she liked it and waited to see how good he was before deciding on whether to fight and that whole women don’t report rape thing can’t be a big deal if she didn’t think it was important enough to report. Feminists say you should never blame the victim. What feminists mean is that you should never blame the victim unless the victim is a man.

But he still hoped to lure some of us over to the Good Man Project for more scintillating discussion about how feminists are evil and mean and how dudes like him think women think  about rape. Oh, and that movie about the stripper dudes.

Come by and visit. Right now there are discussions focusing around the objectification of men because of the Magic Mike movie. There are also multiple discussions around men and feminism. Come and visit.

Then, for some reason, he decided to bring up his cock:

Kyrie says,

“Fuck. You.”

No thanks. Not sure if triple bagging it would help. I’m referring to both my cock and your face. I have to have some fun. 🙂

At this point, I put Mr. Anderson on permanent moderation.

Or  tried to anyway. Due to a little glitch, it didn’t take, so Mr. Anderson was able to post freely for a while. Among other things, he tried to explain away that previous comment with this:

David says,

“And that line about cocks and faces wins Mr. Anderson the prize of permanent moderation. Congrats!”

You forgot bags. It’s bags, cocks, and faces. You have to admit, that statement was a classic.

Not so much.

Then he whined about being moderated:

Dude, I can’t even keep up with the comments directed at me. If I have to deal with moderation, the situation would be unworkable. It should earn me props on a voice for men when I decide to return at least until I start commenting on their discussions. It only took two or was it three days to get semi-banned from the site. Gotta be a record.

The only record set was for how quickly Mr. Anderson devolved from an earnest man of alleged good faith to a cock-talking troll.

cloudiah

PASTA, I don’t doubt that you have a conscious mind. I just don’t think you’re very smart. Hope that clears things up for you!

Sharculese

No, I am not a Chinese room. There is an actual conscious mind at this end of the wire, if that’s what you were trying to cast doubt on.

holy shit, this is like the apotheosis of internet puffery

BASTA!
BASTA!

@cloudiah:

I just don’t think you’re very smart.

I think this statement can be safely generalized.

Ithiliana

@CaptanBathrobe: it’s a well known fact that paragraph breaks are FEMYNYST OPPRESSYION!

FIGHT THE PARAGRAPH!

Ithiliana

@Skylar: You PROMISED you’d only post once.

YOU LIED!!!!

Has there ever in the history of teh internets been a case of somebody saying “I’m just posting once to disgree with you all and I don’t care what you say which is why I’m posting and I won’t be coming back to see what you say because I know you all disagree with me which I don’t care about, going now, bye!” and sticking to it?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

@ ithiliana

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Ithiliana:

I did it once, but people misunderstood me and weren’t convinced, so I had to go back and clarify.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@BASTA!:

I think this statement can be safely generalized.

Generalized? Like… “We just don’t think you’re very smart?” I’m sure it could.

Also, I find it amusing that the one philosophical dialog you happen to reference is one based on a logical fallacy.

Skylar Rouse
Skylar Rouse

You guys are funny. It really seems like you read what I wrote and then went, “ignorant group mentality, I’ll show this guy what Ignorant group mentality is. Quick comment of sentence structure, fuck this guy for not using paragraphs. Oh yeah let’s call him a pussy. Man this guy said he doesn’t respect us, Ha really mean he hates women, because all women oppress him through way of paragraphs. Oh man yeah they’ll be funny to say.” Seriously I irony must just go way above your head. It makes me happy though because anyone with a rational mind isn’t going to read this and agree with how you guys act. It’s true your such a small portion of the population, I wonder how you’re treated in your day to day lives to have to act like this. Yeah though internets and all that jazz, have fun “mocking” anyone that doesn’t want to sit around tell you guys how right you are and how funny and cool and blah blah blah. I’m glad none of you hold any power in my life and I hope you don’t damage your children too much if you have them. Ah man I forgot the indent again, darn.

BASTA!
BASTA!

Generalized? Like… “We just don’t think you’re very smart?” I’m sure it could.

Moreover, the object clause in that self-descriptive statement of (now plural) yours is in fact completely redundant, and can be generalized away. The simple observation that you just don’t think remains true independently of any possible choice of a ponderable.

captainbathrobe

Who called you a pussy, Skylar?

Also repeatedly stating that we hold no power in your life while continuing to post here kind of undermines your argument. If we really have no power, then why not just walk away?

hellkell
hellkell

Skylar, where did anyone call you a pussy? It’s bad enough you’re having a hissyfit about nothing, don’t lie on top of it.

Nice attempt at concern trolling for the children. WON’T SOMEONE THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

Won’t someone think of the English language? It really doesn’t deserve this kind of abuse.

” Seriously I irony must just go way above your head.”

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Pasta is not a Chinese room? Where the fuck did THAT come from?

As for Skylar, I can just imagine him as that guy who follows you around, talking about how unreasonable you’re being, when you get into a big argument with him.

My kiddo is perfectly fine Skylar. Happy, healthy, caring and respectful,creative and inquisitive. What she’s not…willing to put up with crap regardless of who is dishing it.

Sharculese

skylar, none of that happened, but im sorry you have to invent reasons to pretend to be a victim on the internet. that sounds super sad… 🙁

Pam
Pam

Who called you a pussy, Skylar?

Seems he may have the same mystical read-between-the-lines skillz as Mr. Anderson.

Unimaginative
Unimaginative

I especially like the part where Skylar says we don’t question anything, when our whole interaction with what’s-his-face was us questioning his statistics and statements, and him being unable to back any of them up, and just repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over…

pillowinhell
pillowinhell

Hey PASTA! You may have been trying to say something…but it got lost in that gobblygook you’re trying to pass off as written English.

Please revise that last post.

captainbathrobe

It’s funny how people who say “none of you think for yourselves!” really mean “none of you think like me!”

Sharculese

i love the continuing mra obsession with ‘rationality’

‘if you were RATIONAL, you would totally see that all women are GROSS EVIL BITCHES, who i HATE. not that i care, tho.’

captainbathrobe

Oh, I get it: BASTA is trying to say that we don’t think! Oh snap! We just got told! I mean, as soon as we figured out what he was trying to say, that is. Dude, pretentiousness is not a virtue, it really isn’t.

cloudiah

You guys, everyone on the internetz agrees with Skylab. I guess it’s time to shut down this blog.

creativewritingstudent
creativewritingstudent

*control + f*

Yeah, there’s only been two uses of the word ‘pussy’ so far, and this is the second.

VoIP
VoIP

Steele:

Sharculese, nice to see you already attempting to goad me as you all did Anderson. I know that the feminists here are given license to spew all the invective they want while men’s rights commenters must tread on shards of glass.

We have at least two admitted white supremacists here. David has not banned them, although (considering my past experience and field of study) I would have. Your claim does not match the evidence.

creativewritingstudent
creativewritingstudent

Well, at the time of writing it was.

%d bloggers like this: