antifeminism douchebaggery irony alert misogyny MRA penises

The brief history of the brief career of the (unofficial) goodwill ambassador from planet Good Men Project

On a fairly regular basis, Man Boobz is visited by commenters of an MRAish disposition. There are many varieties. Some start off by trying to post rape threats and other such unpleasantness, and their comments never see the light of day. Some leave a few irritated comments and head off, never to be seen again. Some manage to stick around long enough to become Man Boobz institutions.

One interesting variety: the ones who come here, they claim, to discuss the issues with us in good faith. In most cases it becomes quickly evident that they are not interested in real discussion at all, as they ignore what most of the commenters here say to them to instead argue with the straw feminists who live in their heads.

Soon many of these alleged good-faith arguers drop the pretense entirely and lash out with nasty personal attacks. At this point they go on moderation, or find themselves banned entirely.

The latest such meltdown was a fairly quick one. For those who don’t regularly read the comments, here’s a brief history of John Anderson’s brief career (so far) as an unofficial goodwill ambassador to Man Boobz from planet Good Men Project.

An anti-feminist dude who generally hangs out at the Good Men Project, Mr. Anderson arrived at Man Boobz Prime on July 2nd, bright-eyed and bushy tailed, eager to learn from and about the feminist commenters here, and to convince some of us to join him and the other commenters at the GMP in healthy and fruitful dialogue.

In one of his first comments here, he explained the reason for his coming here:

I promised some feminists, who I really admire, at The Good Men Project that I would initially engage feminists without assuming that they are misandrist, a very difficult task for me at least. I think that I’ve mostly lived up to that promise so far as I’ve asked for clarifications and I’ve used qualifiers like seems. I can understand if this comment was written in frustration, but understand that I and any new visitor to the site won’t understand the back story if there is one and the comment just comes off as being dismissive of male victimization.

In a further comment he explained that he was trying to do his part to save the Men’s Rights movement from the angry ideologues:

I was on a voice for men a while back. They had nothing but contempt for the GMPers. I’m certain that I’ll cross paths with them. It is my heartfelt intent to reclaim my movement from people who would disgrace it.

Five minutes later, alas, we learned that he had determined we were all a bunch of misandrists after all.

I only promised not to assume that feminists were misandrists. Once proven, it is no longer an assumption.

Oh, wait, not all of us. But we are a bunch of meanies:

I don’t think all the commentators hate men or are necessarily closed minded to other view points. I actually stepped away from a safe space to engage people who don’t see things the way I do. The feeling that I get is that there is great hostility to anyone who may consider men to be victims under any circumstance….

I’ve quoted DOJ and CDC statistics and included page numbers or links on an article that says that we shouldn’t be angry over truthful statistics. I’ve been told that the statistics have been spun. Maybe I should have refrained from that SHOCKED bit. I probably should have considered the feelings of the people on this site. I’d consider apologizing, but too many people here seem mean.

As far as I can tell, he determined that I was a misandrist because I downplayed the fact that more men are murdered than women by writing the following sentence in the OP:

While four times as many men are murdered than women, only 5% of murdered men are killed by “intimates.”

I remain a bit baffled as to how a sentence that starts by noting that four times as many men are murdered than women is downplaying the fact that, well, four times as many men are murdered than women. You can go read the whole discussion yourself and see if you can figure it out.

The meltdown followed not long afterwards. In one comment, Mr. Anderson suggested, as far as I can figure it, that [TW: RAPE APOLOGETICS] women regularly decide whether or not to charge a man with rape after they determine how good their rapist is in bed:

When is a woman responsible for her own rape because it wasn’t worth fighting over? Maybe she liked it and waited to see how good he was before deciding on whether to fight and that whole women don’t report rape thing can’t be a big deal if she didn’t think it was important enough to report. Feminists say you should never blame the victim. What feminists mean is that you should never blame the victim unless the victim is a man.

But he still hoped to lure some of us over to the Good Man Project for more scintillating discussion about how feminists are evil and mean and how dudes like him think women think  about rape. Oh, and that movie about the stripper dudes.

Come by and visit. Right now there are discussions focusing around the objectification of men because of the Magic Mike movie. There are also multiple discussions around men and feminism. Come and visit.

Then, for some reason, he decided to bring up his cock:

Kyrie says,

“Fuck. You.”

No thanks. Not sure if triple bagging it would help. I’m referring to both my cock and your face. I have to have some fun. 🙂

At this point, I put Mr. Anderson on permanent moderation.

Or  tried to anyway. Due to a little glitch, it didn’t take, so Mr. Anderson was able to post freely for a while. Among other things, he tried to explain away that previous comment with this:

David says,

“And that line about cocks and faces wins Mr. Anderson the prize of permanent moderation. Congrats!”

You forgot bags. It’s bags, cocks, and faces. You have to admit, that statement was a classic.

Not so much.

Then he whined about being moderated:

Dude, I can’t even keep up with the comments directed at me. If I have to deal with moderation, the situation would be unworkable. It should earn me props on a voice for men when I decide to return at least until I start commenting on their discussions. It only took two or was it three days to get semi-banned from the site. Gotta be a record.

The only record set was for how quickly Mr. Anderson devolved from an earnest man of alleged good faith to a cock-talking troll.

Noah Brand

Ah yes, Mr. Anderson. He’s a kick. His faux-reasonable routine is way better than most MRAs, and we have comment moderators at the GMP who’ve been pounding their heads against that brick wall for quite some time. Literally one of my long-term goals for GMP is finding a way to get our moderators paid; dealing with our trolls should be more than a volunteer gig, I feel.

nwoslave

He didn’t genuflect or swear allegiance to the divine feminine. He was promptly exorcised and cast out.

Talking about your trolls is beneath you, David.

valerienorth
valerienorth

This is complete bullshit. If some of the women over at the GMP wanted us to comment on their blog why wouldn’t they just come and ask themselves?

I love how he says – if i have to deal with moderation the situation would be unworkable- as if it was just something that happened to him and not something he caused himself. Classic.

hellkell
hellkell

So… he didn’t like AVfM, but now he’s going to run back there for cookies? They’re just going to call him a hopeless magina.

Nanasha
Nanasha

“You are sorely trying my patience, Mr. Anderson…..”

*takes off glasses*

“Well, guys, what do you think? Should we get the Evil Feminazi Bellybutton Tracer Squid Things?”

/bad Matrix reference

Sorry, couldn’t help it. But why do all the MRA trolls seem to think that they are “the One”?

Nanasha
Nanasha

PS: Don’t you just love it when MRAs come into the thread, start using elevated diction to basically say incendiary things, and then honestly try and say that we’re “being hysterical/crazy” or “making it all up” or “reading my opinions the wrong way”?

I’m sorry, but gaslighting is fucked up, and it’s pretty likely not to work if you’re working in a group of people who can smell your bullshit a mile away.

Fembot
Fembot

I love how MRAs throw in “I wouldn’t fuck with you his” insults, like we are going to feel dissed that they don’t want to sleep with us. Someone on AVfM wrote something like “If Jessica Valenti was spread eagle naked on a bed I wouldn’t fuck her!” Yeah, A) You probably would, and B) Ms. Valenti would never make herself available to you. Seriously MRAs, saying that we can’t have your penis is not a punishment or insult.

captainbathrobe

Man, I miss all the fun threads. It makes me wish I had time to comment here like I used to. Oh well, it’s good to know that others are here fighting the good fight.

And, yes, I agree that “oh yeah, well I’d never fuck you either!” isn’t really the threat/insult that our dear boy thinks it is.

valerienorth
valerienorth

@Fembot- But the penis and the sperm that come with it are the ultimate get. The bible tells us so. Remember Abraham parting the “red sea” with his “big staff”? Too funny.
I swear they really do believe it’s raining if they piss on their own leg so they can’t imagine why we wouldn’t believe it either.

Remember Abraham parting the “red sea” with his “big staff”?

Nope.

darksidecat

This is…yeah, about the level of discourse I expect from the majority of GMP peoples/

Freitag
Freitag

But…but…but… “I wouldn’t deign to fuck you” is a devastating insult! You isn’t devastated? Nobody’s devastated? sob

Molly moon
Molly moon

He’s the first person over 12 that I’ve encountered who insisted on interpreting “fuck you” as an invitation for sex.

So I figure he’s either 12, or he’s too wrapped up in his distorted perceptions to understand the difference between “fuck you” and “fuck me”.

Viscaria
Viscaria

That great and powerful hunter in the post image bears a remarkable resemblance to the giant, rumbling creature I am placating as we speak.

Pam
Pam

I think that he insisted on interpreting it that way so that he could spring on us the oh-SO-original ‘you’re too ugly to fuck … hur hur hur!!’ He even thought his statement “a classic”.

Skylar Rouse
Skylar Rouse

So I see a guy trying to use statistics and studies to show that there are needs for concern a men’s rights movement and a bunch of people ignoring him, making personal attacking and in general just being mean. These are kinds of things that make me people that some people actually think using logic is a form of abuse. I apologize that many studies coming out are basically against all of the man-blaming that tends to go on in these circles but it’s reality, I mean why attack this guy simply for pointing out facts. To me it just seems that no one actually cares about learning anything here, you seem to have read the feminist handbook, questioned nothing, and come to these wild crazy conclusions. I don’t understand the point of people here but you’re right, this is going to be my only comment, I don’t need the frustration of talking to people that don’t care to listen and already “know” all the facts they’ll ever need to know. It’s a sad state of affairs that this is what “equality” has come to. Jeez you people are just so classy. I don’t know why I bother commenting I know this will just be mocked and what not but I suppose you can’t make me feel like any less of a person and I am just that, a person who thinks you are all sad individuals. Think of it as the opposite of all the verbal masturbation and pats on the back you give each other. So just to reiterate, some one, somewhere thinks you guys really need to rethink your ways and are generally acting like terrible people, for as much weight as that holds.

Steele
Steele

Well, it sure looks bad when you put it like this, Futrelle. Without context, readers won’t be aware that the nasty atmosphere in your comments section, as well as the personal attacks specifically directed toward Mr. Anderson, could have reasonably led him to believe that such a tone was fair game.

But then again, lack of context is par for the course when it comes to Manboobz.

Hank
Hank

Just to say the photo’s a dead ringer for my Bombay cat. Sadly he is an occasional bird killer.

Steele
Steele

Excellent post, Skylar.

Sharculese

o thank god, the passive aggressive squad is on the case

Cliff Pervocracy

He had statistics and studies on whether making gross sexual comments on a blog will help spread your message?

Huh. I’d love to see his primary sources.

Sharculese

it’s not anybody’s fault that johnny was too thick to see where the line was and not cross it except his, and its nobodys fault that his ‘joke’ was, in addition to be tasteless, just weak and lame

all the whining in the world wont change that, sorry kiddo

Sharculese

you know exactly why you did it, don’t be coy. you wanted to have an audience for your little self-righteous foot stomp and still get to huff about how you have the moral highground.

do you know what irony is champ? do they teach that at pout school?

Sharculese

also because you know we arent nearly fixated on you as you are on us, and you had to do something to make yourself feel better about that

1 2 3 8