antifeminism bunnies I'm totally being sarcastic idiocy misogyny reactionary bullshit

Yahoo! Answers Gender Studies: Zenith of Civilization

Oh, Yahoo Answers! Why do you always raise more questions than you answer? For example, let’s just take this intriguing question, recently posed to Yahoo Answers Gender Studies by a fellow calling himself Tubetruth.

Not sure I quite get you, Tube. Care to elaborate?

I’m still not quite sure I get you, Tube, but no matter! For danilhastings has already provided us with an answer!

I guess that’s all there is to say on the subject, then.

Happily, those whose gender studies appetites have been whetted by this lively exchange will find many other fascinating gender studies questions to contemplate elsewhere on Yahoo Answers.

Shadow
Shadow

The phrase was made popular (possibly created by as well, not sure) this E-40 song:

Shadow
Shadow

sorry cloudiah, I missed your post

Sharculese

oh, e-40…

cloudiah

@Shadow, I was too lazy to find the video!
@Viscaria, There is no reason it can’t also be a pirate-themed sex game as well. “It’s a floor wax, AND a dessert topping!”

pangea

I have heard people say facetiously that men and women are different species, but I think this dude actually believes that men and women are different species. Biology apparently was not his favorite subject in school.

seranvali

Wow,

Men and women are different species now!

That’s news to me. How about a source for that because I think it’s bullshit.

elizabethtreehugger
elizabethtreehugger

Yahoo Answers Gender Studies is often a place for young men to just bully young women. The men often have very aggressive avatars, sometimes with names like “crusty nips” and “know your place.” The women have cutesy avatars or neutral ones, of course.

These guys harass the women on that section pretty often or simply lightly bully them and dismiss them. Rape jokes, slut jokes, sammich jokes, and women should be exterminated if they can’t make babies jokes abound. That site is nice sometimes, but many of the men on gender studies try to make the place as uncomfortable as they can for women and especially feminists.

They view it as some kind of victory to drive feminists away. They’re just so angry. That site is a good example of what the MRAs have to offer.

Holly Pervocracy

Consign everything Missy said. If gender roles really were so natural, they wouldn’t need vicious enforcement.

seranvali

Holly said:

“… If gender roles really were so natural, they wouldn’t need vicious enforcement.”

Exactly! Why do you need to force people to do what they want to do? It’s silly. If these roles were natural and pre-determined why would there be so many people wanting to deviate from them?

ostara321
ostara321

No successful feminists? Really? That’s hardly the most problematic thing in there, but really, guy must be president of the friggin universe if he thinks the actors, authors, and politicians I could name aren’t successful.

LBT
LBT

RE: Chris

Preaching to choir. We all know that women can be dicks. (Please see past posts on Girl Writes What.)

RE: Holly and Seranvali (and whoever else brought up the ‘programming’ thing)

Being trans means I get a very special kind of “programmed” gender role arguments. If I’m perceived as too butch, I’m perceived as just trying too hard to override my “natural” femininity. If I’m perceived as too femme, I’m told I can’t be a man, I’m just a woman doing a bad job of faking it. Ya can’t win, guys.

Creative Writing Student

I have the impression that gender is one of those things that exists, and has some relevance, but people seem to think it’s so much more important than it actually is! And then they start sticking attributes onto it like it’s some kind of Almighty Diviner of Truth.

Steph

So I just had to look up the question about farting on rabbits. The full question is…

what do u think my rabbit was like when i farted on it

… which doesn’t clarify things too much.

Kavette
Kavette

Speaking as a rather successful business woman, I know that that goes hand in hand with being a feminist whether I actively call myself one or not.

To be a vocal feminist means to devote your time and energy in that direction. Much like a lawyer that chooses to work as a public defender, a good active feminist will not receive as much monetary rewards as a good corporate lawyer. It does not however make each of them any less valuable as each other.

The reality is without feminism Ann Coutler or Ayd Rand or Sarah Palin would not be recognizable names. Although these women denounce feminism as a whole they are in fact indebted to the women who made it possible for them to have their successful careers.

Women who did not make as much money as they did, but made it possible for them to have their earning power.

Falconer
Falconer

I kind of like the idea that you get to role play exactly once, when you’re losing your virginity (by the Yahoo’s inquirer’s definition). After that, no role play ever again! You’ve missed your chance, non-virgin Western women!

I played Captain Savaho once, back in 2005, in a game of Mutants & Masterminds.

I rescued a woman from muggers and she had the audacity to be married.

Table flipping ensued and I haven’t touched them funny-looking dice since.

Falconer
Falconer

I have heard creationists ask with a straight face that, presuming that male and female evolved, which one evolved first and how many years did it take for the other to evolve.

Such persons expect this to be a complete gotcha! question but it’s really based on a profound misunderstanding of evolution.

I didn’t realize this kind of willful ignorance existed outside of the ranks of the creationists, though. (Assuming this guy in the OP isn’t a creationist, which we don’t have any evidence for one way or the other.)

These kinds of people are generally referred to as dumbasses.

And thank god this thread is generally free of creationism because otherwise I’d be spending even more time hanging out here playing with the pinatas.

Guest This
Guest This

@Falconer, I think you may have all creationists somewhat unfairly categorized under “complete idiot.”. I am not a bel myself, but I knew many back during my college days (majored in Bio, minor in Chem). There are plenty who know nothing of evolution, but there are plenty who reconcile God and evolution in their minds. My husband is an MD with a PhD in biochem, and a card carrying Christian. Whether this seeming dichotomy makes sense to a person of a more athiestic persuasion is up for debate but still, they are hardly all stupid people.

I have heard people say they think men and women are separate species, though, and it is terrifying to encounter such grand misunderstanding of basic biology. And I will give you that they have all been very creationsity. :/

Anthony Zarat

Wow, thanks a ton for pointing out “yahoo answer” to me! Now I have a profile, and 22 answers! “YAHOO”, more feminists that I can troll!

Bostonian
Bostonian

You seriously did not already know about Yahoo answers?

Viscaria
Viscaria

Step 1: Learn about Yahoo! Answers (in 2012, somehow)
Step 2: Troll women on Yahoo! Answers
Step 3: Convince women that feminism is wrong, because of all the trolling
Step 4: ???
Step 5: No more homeless men! Sexual abuse and DV against men taken seriously! Queer men’s concerns addressed!
Step 6: Haha, I was just kidding about that queer men thing.

Joanna

Gender studies: “Why did my rabbit smell my fart?”

Yeah…the internet has gone to shit.

M Dubz
M Dubz

@ Guest This- I think there’s an important distinction between “creationists” who take the story in Genesis 1 absolutely literally (and think that dinosaur bones were planted by Satan) and “intelligent designers” or whatever else you want to call it, who believe that there is a Divine hand shaping the universe, but that it works through science. The first I just sort of have to point and laugh, while ascribing to the second.

Either way, the above post has PAINFUL levels of biology fail.

Lady Zombie
Lady Zombie

Why are we discussing these irrelevant topics when the question of why the rabbit smelled zir’s fart is left unanswered?! This is a travesty!

darksidecat

@M Dubz, there are three kinds of religiousy theories. Typically, when people say “creationist” they mean people who reject naturalistic explanations and only accept religious ones. Among those, there are two main subgroups, young earth and old earth. Both of these think evolution is false. The young earthers believe the earth is literally like 6000 years old (this number varies, but it’s always absurdly small). Old earthers tend to be less absurd about general geology and think the earth is much older.

The position I think you mean to allude to as “god working through evolution” is called theistic evolution. Some people consider that a type of creationism, others don’t (presuming that the posited divine intervention is vague and distant, not close and obvious).

Rutee Katreya

So in short, yes, all creationists are absolute shit at the science and are exactly as irrational on the matter as Falconer said. They’re not all idiots per se (Hence the SAlem Hypothesis; if someone who claims an advanced degree is spouting crankery, they are probably an engineer or IT/Computer Science/Informatics degree holder), but they are entirely, obviously wrong.

I do, however, realize that I miss pharyngula’s habit of banning self-proclaimed trolls.

%d bloggers like this: