Uncategorized

Mission Accomplished: Part 2! Paul Elam declares victory, quits A Voice for Men

Not quite six years ago, A Voice for Men founder Paul Elam announced he was quitting Men’s Rights activism. As far as he was concerned, he had won a tremendous victory.

“The mission … to facilitate the entrance of men’s issues into the public discourse, has been successful,” he wrote, basically taking personal credit for the first half-decade of the misogynistic backlash that also brought us incel murder sprees and the he-man woman-hating club called MGTOW.

Elam never quite went away entirely; he poked his nose into the “public discourse” from time to time, though I can’t for the life of me remember anything specific he’s done since his “retirement.”

Apparently hungering for a little more attention than he’s been getting of late — roughly none — Elam has decided to retire for a second time, announcing in a post on A Voice for Men that he was quitting A Voice for Men and turning the whole thing over to a dude called Robert Brockway, who was some sort of editor there for the past who cares how many years.

Elam is once again claiming victory, because of course he is.

Fourteen years ago, I dedicated my life to fomenting a more honest dialogue about men and men’s issues and pushing that dialogue into mainstream consciousness. Thus, A Voice for Men was born. And today I can say in all honesty, and thanks to more people than I can count, that my dream has been fully realized. A Voice for Men kicked in the door on that dialogue wearing combat boots. Within 5 years we were attracting men to gather in person from all over the world. The website became a juggernaut with tens of millions of visitors.

Apparently Elam can’t tell the difference between “visits” and “visitors.” Or thinks you can’t.

A Voice for Men, alongside a handful of other content creators, forced Red Pill thinking into the collective cultural consciousness.

“Alongside a handful of other content creators.” How modest he is.

Elam also gives the publication credit for “captur[inng] the attention of a young feminist filmmaker named Cassie Jaye.” And hoo boy they did. She believed Elam’s bullshit and became essentially the Men’s RIghts Movement’s Leni Riefenstahl, putting forth an MRA-friendly propaganda film called The Red Pill that has basically been the movement’s only real publicity coup. So congrats for playing on Jaye’s gullibility, I guess.

Anyway, the new, post-Elam AVFM is off to a roaring start, featuring articles with riveting titles like “The Meaning of Man’s ‘Meaning of Life’ ” and “Rebutting Colttaine’s Nonsense and Thinking Beyond Notions of Female Omnipotence.” The former begins with this attention-grabbing lede:

It has been said that there needs to be a restoration of a sense of meaning in men’s lives. In a world where man is attacked as a people and as an archetype, there is no objection to this fact. The crisis is existential when the worth of a male individual is under extreme duress, that is, when it makes being a male something to be questioned and too often hated.

The latter is a 7000-word rebuttal to some dude’s YouTube Bit Chute video.

Elam, meanwhile, is off to a new project called XY Crew, which as far as I can tell involves creepy dudes blabbing live on YouTube. I went to their website to learn more, but — pardon their dust! — it appears they aren’t quite ready for prime time.

Red arrow added by me.

Anyhoo, stay tuned as A Voice for Men slides even further into irrelevance.

Sorry, I meant “celebrates its great victory.”

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

Bina
3 months ago

Has he yet twigged to the realization that the red pill is estrogen?

Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
Kat, ambassador, feminist revolution (in exile)
3 months ago

“Thinking Beyond Notions of Female Omnipotence”

Omnipotent? Of course we’re omniscient and omnipresent, but omnipotent? You’re just trying to flatter us.

To what end, sir?

weirwoodtreehugger
3 months ago

Oh, Paul. It’s been so long since I’ve remembered your existence. My life is not worse for it.

For old times sake, I only have one thing I need to say.

Shut up, Woody.

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
3 months ago

That’s twice he’s flounced without really quitting. He’s got a way to go yet if he even wants to beat some of the trolls we’ve had around here, then.

Queen of the Harpies
Queen of the Harpies
3 months ago

The title “A Voice for Men” has always reminded me of Spike TV’s slogan “Television for Men”, which always made me think “90% of television is already for men. What exactly are you trying to accomplish?” Yeah, it’s a snarky response to Lifetime’s slogan “Television for Women”, but I always took that as an insult, given that it’s like the Hallmark channel had a baby with every stupid christmas and romance B movie, but with a lot more threat of rape thrown in. In the end, both channels were insulting to their target audience.

Whoops, I must be dating myself with that TV tangent, but I was going somewhere with it. Giving “a voice” to men is a lot like dedicating an entire channel for men (isn’t Playboy or HBO already that?), mostly pointless. And I use the term “men” lightly when it comes to these anti-feminist, anti-women crybabies. Like complaining when another kid has a big slice of cake with the most frosting when they get to have the rest of it all.

They cry about “the matriarchy” and “Female Omnipotence” (lol really?) when no such thing exists. They cry about being repressed because women won’t have sex with them for free while they treat women as lower lifeforms and hurl constant streams of insults. They cry that men are being “silenced” and “cancelled” because society is actually waking up and confronting abusers and douchebags about their shitty behavior instead of sweeping it under the rug as usual. They cry about “violent” and “crazy” women attacking them as they stir up their hate-filled little circlejerks until the next misogynist mass shooter goes off.

This level of whiny entitlement and hatred does not deserve “a voice”. Thankfully, one of their Dear Leaders seems to find all that work whining to be too much for his poor fragile self, so he’s just gonna pull a Dubya and declare premature “victory” while he hopes someone will actually notice/care about his departure this time. Unfortunately, instead of actually finding something better to do, it seems like he’s just moving on to the next grift of blaming women and feminism for all of men’s society’s ills.

Sophiab
Sophiab
3 months ago

Ooh, XXY crew, sounds like a great place for intersex folks!

Malintzin
Malintzin
3 months ago

A long time ago, when the term “Men’s Rights Activist” appeared, I thought naively that it has something to do with actual rights (child custody, for example, or the awareness of men in abusive relationships). The better term would be Men’s Domination And Persecution of Women Activist. As to this Paul Elam guy, good riddance.

Moggie
Moggie
3 months ago

The writing in that “meaning of life” paragraph is pretty bad. Not Heartiste-tier bad, but not good.

Alan Robertshaw

@ moggie

The slogan of the “XY Crew” is “men building men”

I’m not sure that’s wise. It never ends well!

Mediocrites: longtime reader, relatively recent commenter
Mediocrites: longtime reader, relatively recent commenter
3 months ago

Wait… Robert Brockway? As in Cracked’s former writer and editor Brockway? Or just someone who happens to have the same name?
Because now I’m slightly curious if his involvement with Elam might have been part of the reason Cracked let him go.

Full Metal Ox

@Alan Robertshaw:

I see your Dr. Frank-N-Furter and raise you Captain Li Shang (and I’m given to understand that a fair number of trans people enter the military to try to work out their gender issues):

Fabe
Fabe

@Moggie

“The slogan of the “XY Crew” is “men building men”. So, Gundams? Because that might be fun to watch.”

Lots of gunpla builds on youtube including one of mythbuster Adam Savage putting a master grade kit together.

GSS ex-noob
GSS ex-noob
3 months ago

Men Building Men? Indeed, is it Gundams, Rocky, or cloning? I guess the Men aren’t very good at Building Websites. They could at least have put up some terrible graphics instead of one line of teeny tiny print. Or “Come back soon when we have all kinds of stupid bullshit planned!”

How long do we think his flounce is going to stick this time?

He might as well leave, all his former proteges keep getting arrested and stuffed down the memory hole; it’s not like he’s contributing anything even to this hateful site.

@QotH: righteous rant. Considering the stuff Spike used to show, I always replied with “More like Television for Teenage Boys”.

@Bina: He hasn’t twigged to most actual facts yet, so I doubt it. Like none of these bozos have noticed that the Wachowskis are, in fact, sisters and the whole thing was a trans allegory.

I wish I was omnipotent. Shit would get done. Even just slightly more powerful, or omnipotent for only a couple hours a day.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)

@Mediocrites

No it isn’t. This one’s Aussie, the Cracked Brockway were a Yank.

Mediocrites: longtime reader, relatively recent commenter
Mediocrites: longtime reader, relatively recent commenter

@Threp
Thanks! I honestly wasn’t even sure how to look it up without my browser deciding that Elam and the alt-right are exactly the sort of thing that should be flooding my inbox, news notifications, etc. Which would have been frustrating, since I’d literally JUST managed to get the algorithm retrained to actually show me stuff I’m interested in, again.

Queen of the Harpies
Queen of the Harpies

@GSS ex-noob

Well, they occasionally showed somewhat interesting stuff like “1000 Ways to Die” or “Drunk History” (I think it was called that), but your description is not wrong.

Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
Threp (formerly Shadowplay)
3 months ago

No problem. I keep a browser reserved specifically for that sort of thing. 🙂

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
3 months ago

They also showed Star Trek: The Next Generation. Back when it was still generating new episodes.

James Hutchings
James Hutchings
3 months ago

I hope Robert Brockway isn’t the humor writer of the same name.

Gerald Fnord
Gerald Fnord
3 months ago

I can remember Sinatra’s third retirement-from-misogyny tour—of course it didn’t ‘take’, and there he was again two years later….

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x