open thread

Goodbye 2020, we’re not going to miss you: New Year Open Thread

Goodbye, don’t come back now you hear

Glad that’s over. Let’s celebrate the end of a terrible, terrible year and welcome in the new one, which we can only hope will be a little bit better.

Open thread. No trolls.

Send tips to dfutrelle at gmail dot com.

GSS ex-noob
GSS ex-noob
1 year ago

@sarah_kay_gee: Stick with the gabapentin as long as you can. It gave me headaches in the beginning and then they stopped, and it’s been good for… I dunno how long, either 10 or 20 years depending on how long you count 2020 to be. Start on a really low dose and work up, if you aren’t already.

Also for some reason Tylenol worked better on those headaches than aspirin or NSAIDs? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gwynfydd
Gwynfydd

@Kat

Aww. That’s a beautiful start of the New Year.

Thanks so very much!

We went for a walk around the river near us yesterday and met our local wild bird friends. There was a goose who was alone there for months but met a lady goose, and also they both met a swan couple that they hang with now, and they are always together.

That was lovely. And my partner and I also took some time to talk about house plans and how we might (and where too) like to move, so that felt good.

Sheila Crosby
1 year ago

I went out onto the balcony at midnight and yelled, “Sod oiff 2020!” at the clouds. I must be getting old. ,@Skiriki’s idea was better.

I usually start the day with mindful cat snuggling. I highly recommend this.

I’m worried about political violence in the USA, but the secret service must have seen the proud toddlers plans too. I hope they’re in for a dose of reality. And there have been several occasions where theright wing have planned a huge rally and 25 people have turned up. I’m not saying it will be fine, because they’ll try something, but I’m hopeful that it will be less serious than one day of COVID

Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw
1 year ago

We joined the rest of the country in lockdown after boxing day. Thanks tourists! I still had a reasonably pleasant NYE though. Gyms are still open, so I had a festive lifting session. Then I went to stare at the, now shut, pub I was going to go to.

Later, I had a lovely evening of renewing my ‘EHIC’. That’s the card that lets me have free healthcare in the EU. Due to the last minute nature of our Brexit deal they didn’t have time to deal with EHICs, so existing ones will still be valid until they expire. Hopefully within the next five years we’ll have come to a replacement arrangement.

What could be more seasonally appropriate than wondering around a deserted city centre and then a bit of bureaucracy?

Naglfar
Naglfar
1 year ago

O/T: some British radio host saw a promotional image for the UK’s abolition of VAT tax on menstrual products and apparently thinks a tampon is an “obscene image.” Twitter is roasting him thoroughly, at least.

Last edited 1 year ago by Naglfar
Alan Robertshaw
Alan Robertshaw

comment image

Cyborgette
Cyborgette
1 year ago

So uh, completely and totally OT, but:

Anyone notice that when news media run stuff like this, it’s almost always about a man rescuing a woman, with a heavy undercurrent of “women should be grateful”? Feels a bit like the difference in coverage of deaths of a male soldiers (“He Died For His Country”) vs. female soldiers (“such a tragedy to lose a beautiful woman so young, it was foolish of her to serve”).

Bias: it’s what’s for breakfast.

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
1 year ago

@sarah_kay_gee: There’s a new comment by “GSS ex-noob” that might interest you, that you might have missed because it was inserted out-of-order halfway up this page instead of added at the bottom when it appeared.

rv97
rv97

@Cyborgette

I hate that bullshit. I still believe men are pathetic compared to women only if because they’re victims of their own horrible gender policing. If men are so great, then why must their self-esteem be derived from farming affection and admiration from others?

Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements

When’s the funeral?

Fishy Goat
Fishy Goat

@occasional reader:

Bonne et heureuse année à vous aussi!! (du Canada au nord 😀 )

Sophiab
Sophiab
1 year ago

I’m… wanting to talk to people so much,but feeling I have nothing to say

Also, my home country is nz. And I live in Europe. I’m really struggling not to scream at people about how shittily they’ve handled this. Like, deaths per capita, roughly the same as USA, which they hold up as obvious failure. And deep in my soul is the knowledge that this could have been over in less than a year, and I constantly want to scream it from the rooftops. And I’m beginning to feel I’m insane for point if view…

Cyborgette
Cyborgette

@Sophiab

Sympathies. Seriously.

You’re not insane. The reason for all this is that the rich and powerful believe in eugenics, and literally want us to die. Millions of deaths is their plan for the pandemic, and billions is their plan for global warming.

IDK how we’re going to survive, honestly, but keep holding onto the truth that it didn’t have to be this way.

Naglfar
Naglfar

@sophiab

I feel the same way. This could have been over, but now won’t be for a while longer. I’m so frustrated but have no way to change things at the level that matters.

Sophiab
Sophiab

Thanks folks.

Oh man, the thing the drives me most mad, is the excuses.

Oh, cmon, NZ is only fine cause its an isolated place… islands are easy (except UK, for reasons). China is only fine cause actually they’re lying. Vietnam is only fine because authoritarian. Taiwan… I mean, Asians are just ants, right, they automatically obey everything, also island!

I’m ranting cause at the end of my tether a bit. Just, the western world has made impossible a decent approach of almost anyone else to the virus. You see that with e.g Sri Lanka failing 3-4 months after Europe gave up. There are so my organizations im never gonna trust again

GSS ex-noob
GSS ex-noob
1 year ago

@Surplus to Requirements: thanks. I think what happened is that, being new (hello), my comment was held for approval which meant it then got posted where the original timestamp said it should, which of course was after you guys had already said more things. I hope it helps sarah_kay_gee.

Had a quiet NYE with my husband. He, by the way, is secure enough in his masculinity to have bought feminine hygiene products for me without getting the vapors or needing to complain about it on Twitter.

At this point, I will settle for 2021 being “just not any worse, please”.

occasional reader
occasional reader

> Fishy Goat
Hail to our over-the-sea cousins ! And good year, adamantium health to you !
We are going to need it, because the end of the year and the beginning of 2021 is not that fun : three gendarmes killed by a conspiracist (which was also a DV recidivist), five soldiers (both women and men) killed in Mali, one young bystander killed and some other injured in the first shooting of the year in Bordeaux…
On a lighter side, there is a joke aroung here saying that we should make a wall between England and Europe and make them pay for it. Weak parody of We-Know-Who, but the Brexit is going to be a hell to manage in my administration. Oh well, this is the life.

Have a nice day, everyone !

Last edited 1 year ago by occasional reader
sarah_kay_gee
sarah_kay_gee
1 year ago

Thanks for the advice @GSS ex-noob. I did take it again night before last, and although I woke up with a headache it was very mild and went away after a single dose of Advil. (I’m very intolerant of aspirin—it gives me dreadful stomach pains—and Tylenol might as well be sugar pills, except placebos sometimes work.) I’m still working through free samples; if I continue to have good results I’ll talk to my doctor about a regular prescription. Would be nice to have one less thing causing sleepless nights.

Pie
Pie
1 year ago

I’ve just spotted that the astra-zeneca vaccine is called “chadox” and that sars-cov-2 is a member of the betacoronavirus genus. Maybe I’m a few weeks late on that one, but it still made me giggle.

Discordia
Discordia
1 year ago

I can’t wait until the 21st when Trump is finally gone. And I can’t wait until the vaccines are readily available for everyone. I hope we actually start seeing real life social changes, but sadly I am kind of pessimistic.

%d bloggers like this: