announcements off topic open thread

I’m still here, just taking a break

Hey, everyone. I’m still here. I’m just taking a break. Sometimes I need to step back and clear my head of the usual manosphere nonsense for a few days. But I’ll be back soon.

In the meantime, here are some funny things from the Twitter? (And feel free to consider this an open thread.)

98 replies on “I’m still here, just taking a break”

@Kuppo

It’s our priest and we’re still working out the kinks for everything right now.

@Victorious

The cheat sheet is probably a good idea. I will probably be a mess the entire day. I’ve got a lot of stuff planned out right now. I’ve even narrowed it down to two styles of dress for my wedding dress. The funny thing is the two I have picked out are vastly different from another. One makes me look like a greek goddess wrapped in flowly cloth. And the other is much more Victorian with long lace sleves and a lace boddess, and a traditional ballgown skirt. There both equally beautiful and I can’t decided on which I want.

@Big titty demon

Yes, plus traditional catholic weddings take so long. The whole ceremony is basically a church sermon and I didn’t want that. I wanted a day that celebrated our love, not god. God is apart of it in a way but I didn’t want the whole day to be about him.

@Penny
That is way more helpful then nitpicky, don’t worry about that. Thank you

@Moggie

The perfect place to put the princess bride.

@Katamount
This is the person who will have an interesting job soon, seeing as Trump still thinks he’s buying Greenland.

@Katamount, if you’re suggesting she’s under-qualified to be an ambassador, be fair: she’s also a chiropractor.

I tried to find a gif from the Spaceballs marriage scenes, and was unsucessful! Just imagine them, okay?

Q__Q

@ Lainy

Have you tried both walking AND sitting down in each dress? Remember, you’re not just going to be standing there looking gorgeous in front of everybody – you’re going to be moving, and sometimes you will be sitting. Also, does anything itch? Do you think you’re likely to trip on anything?

… No edit timer, of course.

Also adding on the idea of having pockets for @Lainy. 😀

@Victorious

I haven’t tested them for that actually. The Victorian lace sleeve is tight but I haven’t thought about that. Until alterations can be done I am very likely to trip in both them right now lol. I’m only 5’2 and they both drag on the floor by a lot right now.

@rhuu
Pockets for a wedding dress? I’m only wearing it once.

@Lainy:

For what it may be worth: at the beginning of your text I was thinking “OK, so what did Aristotle say?”; when I reached the end I was dumbfounded. Great discourse.

I hope you feel better after the break David!

I haven’t been commenting on here a lot lately, due to my mental situation being pretty wobbly right now. The place that gives me support with my living situation (I get a visit from them twice a week) changed in June and I’m still getting used to the new people and the new times that they visit. However, the reason I wanted to break my silence right now is that I’m having a bit of a health scare right now. Basically, I have a “stain” on my right eyeball. It’s a smallish dark patch in the middle of my field of vision. I can see perfectly fine, but it’s a bit like having a bit of dusty cobweb right at the center of my vision. I’m a bit scared, especially since I’m only going to be able to go to my healthcare center on Friday morning. So, basically, what I’m hoping for right now from you, my fellow Mammothteers, is good vibes and positive thinking and maybe a prayer or two.

@ monzach

I hesitate to internet diagnose, but from personal experience that sounds like it could be a posterior vitreous detachment. In which case it’s inconvenient but nothing to worry about.

Your brain will learn to ignore it in a few weeks; and eventually the ‘veil’ effect goes away anyway.

Although it will come back temporarily if you do a handstand.

@Alan Robertshaw

Thanks for the reassurance, Alan. I’ll still go talk to a medical professional on Friday, though. To be on the safe side. 🙂

OK, so Trump thinks he’s King of the Jews. His favorite musical is Evita. He wears a scary equivalent of a mask on top of his head. He personifies overblown 80s bling.

Basically, he’s a walking Andrew Lloyd Webber tribute act. I’m bracing for Ivanka dressed as a cat furry* and Melania on roller skates.

*Not offence intended to actual furries. But how is Cats not the biggest-budget furry production of all time?

@Tovius

That was my exact thought process.

@Lainy

I’ve not been a bride, but I have been a bridesmaid to both those kinds of styles before. I’d come at it from the bridesmaid and photo angles if you like both equally well.

The bridesmaid angle is that it’s much easier to find bridesmaid dresses that look good on all body types that match with a greek goddess-type dress. Like just so much easier. If that’s not a concern, check the photo angle: do you want more formal-looking photos only or do you want some where you are clustered informally or hugging, etc? It is difficult to look convincingly natural in an informal setting in Victorian-y hoop skirts. The skirts boosh out in front (or behind) if you try for a bridesmaid-on-either-side type photo, etc. They take lovely stately formal photos though, so it depends what you want. 🙂

@Monzach

I’m sorry to hear that. I hope it’s nothing, or just a migraine aura or something. Positive thinking and good vibes are heading your way. 🙂

Rhuu – apparently an illiterati wrote on
August 21, 2019 at 11:24 am:

*has just realised that I have no idea how to use a ‘bookmarklet’.*

Google isn’t telling me how to actually this. I went to the pastebin link, bookmarked it, then came back to this page and clicked the bookmark in my bookmarks toolbar, all that happens is I go to the bookmarklet page.

What am I doing wrong??? Q__Q

My bad for not explaining! What you’re supposed to do is to create a bookmark of the page, go to edit it, then paste the contents of the bookmarklet Pastebin into the “Address” portion of the bookmark (overwriting the original URL).

Big Titty Demon wrote on
August 21, 2019 at 1:42 pm:

@Ariblester

This sounds useful!

Known Bugs

Do not quote your own posts when the edit timer is still ticking down. The script enters an infinite loop.

Why does this happen?

As far as I can tell, it’s because the edit timer constantly refreshes the “contents” of the comment by showing the countdown, which somehow confuses the script.

@Redsilkphoenix

I did a little writing for The Hathor Legacy back when it was active. I’m still in regular contact with the siterunner, and as she makes her living with her websites Hathor just wasn’t pulling the numbers.

But on the bright side, she’s noted that since Hathor was active a lot of the things she was calling attention to have gotten more mainstream attention, so she didn’t feel like she was silencing anything when she shut it down.

@Ariblester

This is a test, only a test. Testing 1, 2, 3. Test. Test. Test.

Big Titty Demon wrote on
August 21, 2019 at 1:42 pm:

@Ariblester

This sounds useful!

EDIT: Hmm… not working yet, hasn’t got the formatting…

Test?

EDIT 2: Test again. 1, 2, 3.

@Ariblester

Question on the bookmarklet: just for a wee moment, I did have a magnifying glass by my name when I refreshed this page, but it has disappeared now. I can’t seem to get anything different to happen with the comments bar. What should happen to the interface ideally, if it works?

Big Titty Demon wrote on
August 21, 2019 at 7:46 pm:

@Ariblester

The bookmarklet needs to be manually reloaded every time the page refreshes (technical limitations of bookmarklets).

Once the bookmarklet is loaded, the magnifying glass should stay there, a “[Quote]” button should appear under every comment, and the “strike” button should appear on the comments bar.

What browser are you using? I’ve tested this on Firefox and the iPhone browser (the devices I use).

Ariblester wrote on
August 21, 2019 at 8:08 pm:

Aha! Yes! It works! I am using Google Chrome on a Linux operating system, but just for the sake of it I also tested it on a Windows and asked someone to test it on Mac, and it works in all 3 systems. Two thumbs way way up!

@Arbilester,

Thanks! Even I got it to work. Though apparently only on the first page of comments. Weird.

solecism wrote on
August 21, 2019 at 9:27 pm:

@Arbilester,

The bookmarklet needs to be reloaded every time the page changes, as well. Basically, if you’re not seeing the magnifying glass next to usernames, you need to click the bookmarklet again.

@Ariblester
I just got it working on my phone and computer. It’s especially useful on my phone, as that is where I do most of my commenting.
Thank you!

@big titty demon

If this helps put it in perspective, our photos we are going for are going to look like old fashion black and white. So I suppose there are going to be formal. I wanted to do something that made our pictures look old timie, like we got married decade ago and we’re actually vampires that haven’t aged since we go married.

@moon cluster

I’ve thought about that. But I don’t want it to seem like our wedding is Greek themed or anything.

I also got us this big sign that says “choose a seat, not a side, we’re all family once the knot is tied” because we didn’t want to have a bride side and grooms side.

Ariblester wrote on
August 21, 2019 at 9:34 pm:

Thanks for the clarification! I did figure it out eventually. The widget is much appreciated.

Lainy wrote on
August 21, 2019 at 10:14 pm:

Well, it would be a beautiful symmetry, the story in your vow and the visual effect of your dress–a goddess!–even if every other aspect of your wedding is completely unrelated to these 2 elements.

All of the details you’ve shared so far sound lovely.

Heh. Are you going to have any other details/Easter eggs as nods to possibly being vampires? Maybe include Jason Isbell’s song “If We Were Vampires” in the musical lineup somewhere?

@Rabid Rabbit

I’m a furry who was radifurized by another furry artist. I’ve never actually seen Cats in its entirety (just “Jellicle Songs” and “Memory”), but having read a synopsis… to me, it just wasn’t compelling enough. The costumes were off-putting and the story was incredibly thin. I know a couple of furries that love Cats… I just ain’t one of ’em.

@Katamount, Rabid Rabbit:
As for ‘story was incredibly thin’… what do you expect when a book of thematically-linked light poetry is adapted as a ‘story’?

“Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats” by T. S. Eliot

It’s a fun book, but it was never really a story.

I haven’t actually seen the show either, though have heard most of the music (my mother having been a big fan of Broadway musicals and owned a lot of cast recordings on vinyl). Also, a choir I belonged to back in high school (early 80s) performed Memory on tour one year. Granted, another year the same choir performed pretty much the whole of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

@Jenora Feuer,

You don’t. Everyone knows that a hooman that’s sitting still is just asking for a cuddlepile to be formed on them. Is well-known law of nature. *nods* Ask the cats as well as the dogs; they’ll tell you. XD

@Allandrel,

I’m glad Jennifer is doing alright, and I understand the economics of having to close Hathor, in a way. I guess I l’m a bit surprised it wasn’t left up as an archive, since it did have quite a few valuable discussions on it. (The one about the 1960’s context of the original Star Trek series, why the Mexican actor had to play Khan as an Indian guy, and the White Guy Stupidity over casting Cumberhatch as Khan, was a great article as I recall it.)

It was also one of the sites that helped convinced me that feminists weren’t all screechy no-fun harpies, that they did have a point too. I doubt she’d remember the name I posted under there ( not this one, btw), since I didn’t post all that often.

What other sites is she doing now, if she’s alright with that being known here?

@Redsilkphoenix

Were you at one point an antifeminist? Just out of curiosity, would you mind telling us a little more? What was it like to change sides?
I don’t mean to pry, and if you don’t want to answer that’s fine. I’m curious since I encounter lots of non-feminists in my day-to-day life, and I am always looking for ways to convince them to be feminists.

@Redsilkphoenix:
Heh, pretty much. Kinda was a wonderfully friendly dog, not a mean bone in her body. Just… didn’t necessarily think ahead when trying to get comfortable. Which can be an issue with a dog that weighs over half that of her ‘owner’.

New Olly video, “Climate Grief”. Heavy stuff on how climate change is intertwined with a bunch of other issues, but entertaining as always:

@Redsilkphoenix

To my knowledge, Jennifer is currently not doing any media-related sites, and her most successful site right now is for mixed-drink recipes (don’t remember the site name, as I don’t drink). She tries to keep her online visibility fairly low-key for personal reasons.

I forgot one little personal detail about my wedding vows that might be needed. I wrote a lot of this around the thing my fiancé calls me, introduces me to as to other people, and my name in his phone. He calls me his other half.

I guess nothing will change, though. The other Koch bastard is still there, as is the money. Still, it’s a start.

@ Moggie

Yeah, the whole Koch apparatus is still present. The question I have is, how well will the apparatus work without its founder(s)? Some institutions can’t survive after the founder dies. Others continue. So are the Koch brothers the kind of founders who have made sure their work will continue after their deaths, or have they been unable to truly comprehend that after they die, the world will keep on spinning?

Just a quick announcement:

I have taken my WHTM Quote Helper off Greasyfork and put it on Github instead (link in my username), together with a much clearer explanation of how to install and use it.

The Pastebin for the bookmarklet will also no longer be updated. Get it also from the Github.

Thanks to @kupo for the suggestion.