empathy deficit entitled babies gender policing men who should not ever be with women ever misandry misogyny no girls allowed

Sorry, manbabies, the real problem with the Ghostbusters reboot isn’t misandry but racism

Oh, wait, wrong ghost movie
Oh, wait, wrong ghost movie

The We Hunted the Mammoth Pledge Drive is on! If you haven’t already, please consider donating through the PayPal button below. Thanks!

Today will go down in history as a dark day for manbabykind. For today, the lady Ghostbusters trailer dropped. And there was much wailing and tweeting of tweets.

Let’s take a stroll amongst the wailing manbabies on Twitter, indulging their ridiculous rants.

And then let’s talk about what’s really wrong with the Ghostbusters trailer, which has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with race.

First, the manbabies:

There were those who pulled out the old “my childhood has been raped” nonsense.

There were those who strenuously insisted that their anger at the female Ghostbusters had nothing whatsoever to do with misogyny, nuh-uh, but was rather a reaction to the trailer’s objective terribleness.

There were the fat-shamers, because at no point in history has a fat person ever been funny.

There were Trump fans:

Hell, there were so many Trump fans that one observer made a helpful Venn diagram:

There were even a few Knights Who Say Cuck:

Some raised the specter of WHITE GENOCIDE:

Some worried where the evil feminazis would strike next:

Others offered somewhat less comprehensible critiques:

One Tweeter summed up the day on Twitter with a little haiku:

And another Tweeter left us with this existential question:

Still another raised the possibility of a second reboot with a rather different cast:

And this guy helped us put it all in perspective:

So what happens once we step back from all the manbaby whining, and the jokes about the manbaby whining. and actually watch the trailer? Well, be my guest:

I don’t know about you, but I’m a bit underwhelmed.

There are a few funny moments, but the trailer sort of steps on them. It’s hard to tell if this is a terrible trailer for a good film, or if the Ghostbusters reboot will end up being, well, basically a female version of Adam Sandler’s godwful Pixels.

But the really distressing thing that the trailer reveals is that the three white gals in the movie are the scientists, while Leslie Jones’ Patty is relegated — or so it seems from the trailer — to the tired, stereotypical role of sassy black sidekick who may not be educated but who “knows the streets.”

This racial/racist failure has not exactly gone unnoticed; it’s already inspired thinkpieces and polemics on sites ranging from The Root to The Inquisitr, as well as in innumerable Tweets.

The original Ghostbusters, however hallowed it has become, was infamous for a similar racial failure. That movie’s “black ghostbuster,” played by Ernie Hudson, was so forgettable, and so obviously a token, that the designer simply left him off of this recently reworked Ghostbusters poster featuring his three white comrades.

Despite all the complaints by angry manbabies about the gender-swap of the main characters, it may well turn out that the real problem with the film isn’t that it’s too radically different from the original, but rather that it is too similar — at least in its inability to imagine a black character as more than a token or a stereotype.

The one thing that gives me some hope is Jones herself, an amazing comedian who may have been able to transform her character into something more nuanced and less stereotypical than what we see in the trailer.

I guess we’ll see.

abars01
abars01

So, when can we expect Return of Kings to call for an inevitably unsuccessful boycott which they’ll thereafter claim was successful?

sevenofmine
sevenofmine

Those of you saying variations of “I don’t think Ghostbusters is racist because Winston was my favorite character”…

This is not how racism works.

occasional reader
occasional reader

Hello.

So my childhood has been officially raped now

I guess he had said the same thing to his parents when they had told him that Santa was not real…

Hmm, black tropes again ? It seems it is hard to lose bad habits.
Maybe they could try to do a remake of Starsky and Hutch with one black and one latino as the two main protagonists ? And i want Steve Buscemi as Huggy Bear.

Have a nice day.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@sevenofmine

This is not how racism works.

Boy, I sure do love it when people completely misread my posts and claim I said something that I never said!

Goddamn. As if it wasn’t bad enough when someone went on an extensive rant because I dared used “slowly” within a sentence…

For one thing, no one is denying racism because they liked Winston Zeddemore – it’s specifically in response to when David claimed:

That movie’s “black ghostbuster,” played by Ernie Hudson, was so forgettable, and so obviously a token, that the designer simply left him off of this recently reworked Ghostbusters poster featuring his three white comrades.

All I disagreed with was that he was a forgettable (thus bad) character. That’s it. That’s all. No denial of the tokenism or the racial problems otherwise, so don’t claim I’m trying to fucking deny racism because I simply stated that I liked a character.

Ohlmann
Ohlmann

TBH, from the moment the all woman cast was announced I actually had a bad feeling. It’s not that an all female cast can be wrong in a vacuum, it’s that it smelled like a gimmick, which don’t lend to good films in most cases.

I don’t know any of the comedian’s prior work, so maybe it was supposed to be a very good selections of comedians.

sevenofmine
sevenofmine

@ NickNameNick

Your first post didn’t say that. You just said Winston was your favorite. You gave no indication of what specific words of David’s you were reacting to.

Then Diogenes said this:

I’d disagree with the racial aspect. Winston Zeddemore was probably the most relatable character for some viewers. (i.e. “If there’s a steady paycheck in it, I’ll believe anything you say.”) He’s the salt of the earth and plays straight man opposite three wacky academics.

“I’d disagree with the racial aspect…” for reasons amounting to “because I like the character”.

Then you responded with:

Exactly! He’s the only one of the four who, when it comes to telling others about ghostly phenomenon, actually gets how outrageous all that stuff would sound. He doesn’t disbelieve it, of course, but it’s clear that – next to Bill Murray – he’s more of a people person than either Egon or Stantz.

Someone said they disagreed with the racial aspect, you quoted that, replied with “exactly!” and then reiterated similar reasons. You’re actually indignant that someone read you as denying racism when you quoted someone denying racism and responded with “exactly”.

Boy I sure do love it when people say words that apparently don’t match what they actually mean and then get mad at other people for failing to psychically divine that they meant something other than what they said.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

Does anybody mind if I tell Nick to shut the fuck up? Fucking Christ, that’s the second time he’s flipped the fuck out over a polite barely-even-a-disagreement in as many days. The first time was just confusing, but now it’s getting creepy.

(Why have so many of the male regulars and ex-regulars spontaneously morphed into whiny shitheads this week? Coincidence, Clinton, somebody drugged the water, alien mind control rays, what?)

Carayak
Carayak

The trailer was disappointing, but if it makes entitled manbabies cry, I’ll still go see it. Looks like there were some cool creature designs, and maybe, if we’re lucky, the real movie will show some awareness of the race problem it saddled itself with by the direct genderswap gimmick.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

@sevenofmine

Fair enough, perhaps I should’ve made that specific quote. But, yes, it was meant to only be in response to Zeddemore as a character than the racial problems with the franchise, which I actually agree with David on.

Again, fair point – I should’ve specified my response was about how the character was described than anything else.

NickNameNick
NickNameNick

You’re right.

Rereading my posts, I could’ve responded better even if it still bugged me – which is partly due to the shitty discussions I’ve gotten into on Facebook and regret. It made me get far too defensive and it wasn’t the appropriate response here.

I’ve been in a very…odd mood these days and haven’t been composing myself well at all. Guess this should be in the open threads for personal stuff, but February was a weird month for me and I’m recovering from it. Having a depressive episode during that time certainly didn’t help either – lots of days spent entirely in bed. I felt under the weather, but it was usually this intense lethargy coupled with an overwhelming sense of apathy.

Not sure what it exactly is that caused me to feel all that. It could be personal, since it happened after my father’s visit, but that went well. Maybe it’s other personal stuff coupled with current politics, which has made me increasingly agitated. There’s also just the lack of work and the fact the area I live in is, economically, doing pretty poorly – which might mean moving away from someplace I’ve come to really like.

Social Justice Atheist
Social Justice Atheist

@Leah3

I’d watch it. For the lulz.

I can just picture a giant 1,000+ foot Donald Trump stomping through the streets of New York.

Pol
Pol

Good luck NickNameNick. Get better. I’ve had tough times too. Sometimes really tough times… But I kept going and I’m alive and well and happy about the future! And I must say, reading the Mammoth really helped too cheer me up.

Mary Contrary
Mary Contrary

@WWTH

Little Men was filmed twice (1934 and 1940), and was even made into a TV series in 1998 (Canadian, so it comes as no surprise that it both managed to run for two seasons and virtually no one outside Canada has even heard of it). Not sure how faithful any adaptation is to the novel, though. Golden Age Hollywood could be cringingly cavalier in that respect.

Kat
Kat

Newsflash to MRAs: There is no law requiring that a form of art stay the same to please you.

Remakes of movies are legal. And it’s completely aboveboard to have characters who once were white men now be POC or women, sometimes both.

Also, new games are legal. With female characters. And black and brown characters. Completely within the law!

None of the above constitutes rape–of a childhood or anything else.

It is, in fact, the nature of art to change. Art always wants to reveal something new.

Not so with manbabies.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

I don’t know that the genderswapped cast is a gimmick, but I know that it’s the only reason I’m paying attention to yet another reboot.

It’s weird though: they’re keeping the stereotype about the token black person playing the “straight man” while the white people have their heads in the clouds, but they seem to be going with a completely different antagonist.

Kat
Kat

@NickNameNick

Comments can be hard to understand. That’s why Katie gave us Grumpy Cat pics.

Sorry to hear you’ve been down! I’ve been experiencing Trump-related and job-related angst too.

I hope that your job situation improves.

And I wish us all a future free of Trump news. He could take up knitting or piano lessons or checkers.

May it be so.

Huggbees
Huggbees

Oh God the “rape my childhood” speech again. Your childhood is not going to be runined by a few bad movies so quit your first world problem whining. Sorry for the rant I just can’t stand that phrase as for the trailer itself I personally thought was ok. I got a few chuckles out of the jokes but the ghosts looked a bit messed up. But one trailer doesn’t make a whole movie.

Bacon
Bacon

I would argue that the original did need a remake because it was very dated, particularly in its approach to women.
People seem to forget the part where Dr Venkman is creeping on one of his students, pretending she’s psychic so he can get a date?
Or the bit where he literally stalks Dana to work?
Or the bit where we have to hope he goes everywhere with powerful sedatives in his pocket, because otherwise he deliberately turned up to his date with a vial of Thorazine…

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Mary Contrary,
Thanks. I had no idea. I guess I’ll have to amend my post to say it’s never been made into a widely seen movie.

Scented Fucking Hard Chairs
Scented Fucking Hard Chairs

I really liked the designs of the ghosts, myself. They had a real 1/3 classic Ghostbusters, 1/3 Burton, 1/3 Haunted Mansion ride feel to them, at least in the trailer.

… Of course, I’m a dorky old goth with weird tastes, so. Different strokes and all that.

WeirwoodTreeHugger
WeirwoodTreeHugger

Anti-feminists are always claiming we use the label rape too eagerly. But plenty of women who were Jem fans growing up were annoyed with the atrocious recent movie which had pretty much nothing to do with the original story. This includes plenty of feminists. I didn’t see any of them accusing the movie of raping their childhoods though.

These guys will use the word “rape” to describe anything.

Except of course for actual rape.

banned@4chan.org
banned@4chan.org

Speaking of! Does anyone know if the new comic book series is any good? I’m considering picking up the first volume. Can anyone explain how or why Synergy in the latest issues is turning people into punks and goths?

Alex Rogan
Alex Rogan

“Oh nose. Mah childhood is ruins!” No, even if this movie sucks, it doesn’t ruin your childhood or the enjoyment of the original. Ghosbusters 2 did that. From the trailer, it looks below average but Kate McKinnon will be the best thing in it.

@Banned@4chan.org The Jem comic is really cool. It’s not exactly like the original cartoon, but still pays great respect to the original.

chippywillbethere
chippywillbethere

As a big Ghostbusters fan, I was very excited by this trailer. As for the Leslie Jones thing, yeah, they could have swapped her and Mckinnon to be safe from the token black character thing.
But for me, as long as Jones has good dialogue and isn’t treated like a lesser character to the other 3 I have no issue with this.

Tragedy of the Commas
Tragedy of the Commas

I knew so many guys in college who used phrases like “raped my childhood” or “ruined my childhood” 100% unironically. I used “killed my childhood faves” unironically back then, too, and I’m not proud of it. Demanding that stuff replicate one’s childhood perfectly is not a signifier of mature adulthood.

As others have pointed out, it’s worth noting how these “raped my childhood” guys take, very seriously, metaphorical rape, but frequently claim that actual rape victims make up their stories.

Sadly, I have to agree with David Futrelle’s criticisms of the trailer. Few of the jokes land and the special effects look terrible (maybe deliberately cheesy?). It’s also too long/spoils too much of the plot.

At first I wondered if the 150K, and growing, dislikes of the trailer on YouTube were the result of metabombing the trailer. But after I watched it…yeah.

Who knows though? Maybe this will be like the Batman v Superman trailers. Andre of Black Nerd Comedy compares two of them and explains why they give completely different impressions of the same movie.

%d bloggers like this: