announcements

Off for a few

Just a quick note: I’ll be away from the blog for a couple of days to deal with some family stuff. Should be back and posting on Monday.

Alan Robertshaw
7 months ago

@ Vicky P

Ooh, from the context I’m going to guess yours!

Keeping everything crossed for you! I’m sure they’ll be knocked out by your CV anyway.

(Because it’s good; not because it’s tied round a brick or anything. LinkedIn said that was too pro-active.)

ETA: 3M stands for Minnesota Mining and Minerals. I’m sure you know that; but I really liked that when I found out.

Last edited 7 months ago by Alan Robertshaw
Surplus to Requirements
Surplus to Requirements
7 months ago

Could the erosion of democracy in various parts of the world be because men don’t want to do the dishes?

Thought-provoking. I’ll note also that the Weimar Republic significantly liberated women compared to the Kaiser’s regime, and that the fiercely misogynistic Freikorps arose immediately and were the precursors to the brownshirts of Nazism. They had a worldview in which women came in two types: the feared, liberated “red” women and chaste, demure, and subservient “white” women:

Liberated women seem to have prompted violent reactionary movements earlier in history as well. Witch hunts being among the more notorious, often targeting widows who had come to own property in the only way that women could come to own property in those times, as well as women reputed for being sexually liberated.

Last edited 7 months ago by Surplus to Requirements
Victorious Parasol
Victorious Parasol
7 months ago

@Alan

Yes, it is! If it works out, it’ll be almost like coming home – part of my old company was sold to 3M back in 2019, and I was one of the people who got downsized later that year. A number of my old co-workers either were in the part that got sold to 3M or found jobs there later, and the ones I liked working with before are still there. I’d love to see them again.

GSS ex-noob
GSS ex-noob
7 months ago

@Vicky P: Fingers crossed! Not now, since I can’t type that way.

@Surplus: Misogyny seems to be at the root of so many terrible things.

Alan Robertshaw
7 months ago

Interesting bit of tension between colonialism and abortion rights.

The government here have said that, if the Northern Ireland government at Stormont don’t pull their finger out and start providing proper abortion services, the UK will override them and deal directly with health trusts over there so make sure they do.

KindaSortaHarmless
KindaSortaHarmless
7 months ago

Take care, David. There’ll be plenty of weirdos for you when you get back.

Alan Robertshaw
7 months ago

@kindasortaharmless

There’ll be plenty of weirdos for you when you get back.

Indeed, it’s not like we’re going anywhere!

!
Weirdos are the reason we’re here. I mean, what must the other fish have thought of the first fish that decided to check out dry land?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x