creepy douchebaggery evil women men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny

Twitter hashtag of the day: #MenCallMeThings, a catalogue of horrendous misogynist crap sent to women online

Twitter hashtag of the day: #mencallmethings, in which Women With Opinions on the Internet report some of the creepy, violent, threatening, misogynist things said to them in comments and emails by dudes on the Internet. GIANT TRIGGER WARNING for:  “whore,” “slut,” “cunt,” “fat cunt,” “ugly cunt,” “cunt bucket,” “cum dumpster,” “lesbian hambeast” (huh?), assorted threats of rape and murder —  the list goes on, and on, and on. I would post the, er, “highlights,” but, really, just go and look at it. This shit is relentless.

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Spear, all the ladies of this site think you are good looking. That has to count for something right?

Y’see, MRAL? If you just wore stylish hats and managed to bite down on the warbled rage screams long enough to crack a smile for a cute photo, you too could be drowning in virtual manboobz pussy! Hawt. 😀

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

Perhaps a little late, but to MRAL, who said he would just love to be showered by inappropriate sexual comments and such… I present to you this.

It may look like exaggeration… But it’s not. It’s not.

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Baglesan

Manboobz pussy, yay! Wait… *ponders*

ew

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Pardon me for not believing Brandon received multiple threats of murder and rape during high school, but… no.

Ashley got a rape/death threat in high school once, but she just giggled and flashed her panties before leaping astride a unicorn and flying away to simultaneously bake cookies and give Brandon a blowjob. Anyone who doesn’t deal with rape/murder threats by getting turned on and baking desserts is just thin-skinned.

In fact, that thin-skinned thing is part of Brandon’s Patented Super Duper Sneaky Awesome Clever Feminist Detection Stealth Powers Ninja Interrogation System (TM); in a sort of reverse witch hunt he stabs every woman he talks to with a pin and if she gets hurt or mad she’s obviously an evil feminist. Fucking foolproof.

10G
10G

Ok Arks, so it would NEVER bother you to see your name associated with “Needledick, the bug-fucker….impregnated a million mosquitos last year”?? And if you’re SO into hanging with the “Big boyz”, why the HELL are you over here poking at us pussyfaguglyassbitchcuntfuckers? Seriously, man………XP

Bagelsan
Bagelsan

Manboobz pussy, yay! Wait… *ponders*

ew

Yup, that’s one sexy phrase innit? Cleavage everywhere, probably…of some type. ;D

Hershele Ostropoler

Bagelsan:

In fact, based on your womanliness I’mma go ahead and diagnose you as scared of spiders and mice and parallel parking, too

I’m a man by any definition you care to use and I’m terrified of parallel parking.

Lauralot
Lauralot

@kirbywarp: Don’t forget the sequel!

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Lauralot:

😀

Please tell me there’s a “Return of the XBox Girls”

That would make my night.

Lauralot
Lauralot

I haven’t found one yet, but I will keep searching.

shaenon

I love how Holly didn’t include the last sentence in my ‘hate comment’, which clarified that the ‘worthless piece of shit’ line was not meant to be taken seriously- it’s just that’s pretty much what feminists say about men.

Can you name any instance of a feminist saying that men are “worthless pieces of shit”? Because I can’t.

This is a thing I’ve noticed with you, MRAL: you seem to have trouble telling the difference between your own feelings and objective reality. If you feel intimidated by the sight of an attractive woman, for example, you don’t think, “I feel intimidated.” You think, “That woman is deliberately intimidating me.” And then you get all mad at her for firing invisible Intimidation Rays at you.

Or having a woman walk by without noticing you makes you feel bad, so you think she’s trying to make you feel bad. And you go off on a tear about how she’s looking down on you and “spitting” on you and so on, when back in the real world she didn’t do anything whatsoever.

Or getting called out by feminists on your hateful ideas makes you feel like shit, so you think the feminists are calling you a piece of shit. Even though they’re not saying anything like that.

You may notice that some of the more deluded trolls around here have the same problem. NWO, for instance, gets boners from watching little girls, so he concludes that little girls are trying to give him boners. Then he gets all made at them for doing that. I assume you don’t want to end up like NWO, storming around in an alternate reality of your own creation where everyone is out to get you, so you need to work on this. Be aware of which things in your life are actually, literally happening, and which ones are feelings. Feelings are important, but they’re not always real. I’ve got depression, so this is an important lesson I’ve had to learn myself.

Also, have you been to the Gardner? That place is great. It was built by a woman, but otherwise I think you’d really enjoy it.

shaenon

Although it’s possible you’re already in your own personal alternate universe, if you can say with a straight face that there’s “nothing insulting” about the sentence, “Fuck that, you little prick.”

No, seriously. Try saying it with a straight face. Say, “Fuck that, you little prick,” out loud, then say, “Not an insult.” Now do it without cracking up. You can’t, can you?

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

@Shaenon:

So… basically MRAL and NWO are failing the M&M test? (goes by other names as well) I thought you were supposed to be able to develop a theory of mind by age five

kirbywarp
kirbywarp

The thing with NWO is that he not only gets angry at the 14 year olds for “flaunting their stuff,” but then gets mad at adults for looking down upon his perfectly innocent sexual propositioning of said 14 year old… *sigh*

Holly Pervocracy

Hey, we just studied that in my Developmental Psych class! The creepy flipside of the M&M test is that kids (or adults…) without a theory of mind have no real inhibitions against hurting others, because as far as they’re concerned: “it doesn’t hurt ME when I pull the kitty’s tail.”

They can learn that kitty will scratch them and restrain themselves for that reason, but they are literally incapable of caring what kitty feels, or even understanding that it does feel.

kladle
kladle

I have always found the “ignore it” advice to be really stupid, especially on the internet. For one thing, what do you think all these people HAVE been doing? Do you think they send a picture of themselves crying back to each of the people who harass them? The harassers haven’t even been able to see that these female bloggers are affected by what they say, for the most part, yet they keep on coming. In any case it’s often a sheer numbers issue; for each troll who gets tired of making up florid sexual assault stories after being ignored, there’s always another one to come and take their place. Female bloggers have already tried staying silent about their harassers and it hasn’t worked. That’s exactly why they’re speaking out now!

Two, why would you ignore someone who is a disturbing enough individual to send people threats and insults? It’s a perfectly rational response to get upset when someone threatens to rape you! That’s why we have emotions, for self-preservation and to react appropriately to other individuals in social situations. The appropriate response to someone who is making detailed threats of sexual assault, or posting your private contact information online, or devoting an entire blog to insulting you, is to call them out and tell them to stop. I mean, if someone did that to your friend, or your sister, or your mom, or you had a friend who said those kinds of things to women, hopefully you wouldn’t ignore that. I don’t see why it’s any different when the target is you.

Three, the “ignore them” mentality feeds right into the type of mentality that trolls and abusers have, which is basically “it’s your fault you have emotions, so it’s ok for me harass you, because you responding to it is the problem. Neener neener neener.” No, you fuckwads, the problem is that people are deliberately attempting to hurt others with exceptionally nasty language and threats (and not just “I’ll punch you in the face” abstract-style threats, but, like, “sending pictures of your apartment” threats). There is *nothing* wrong with a person who is hurt when they’re the subject of constant harassment, online or otherwise. And not everyone has the emotional resources to develop a “thick skin” and be able to blow these things off. A woman who was raped three months ago might not be able to ignore rape jokes directed at her! What a surprise! Seriously, what kind of messed up balls do you have to have to demand that she spontaneously be able to go “la la la I don’t care” whenever some angry weirdo decides to make her life miserable??? To say that she doesn’t have the right to complain about people actively trying to make her afraid for her personal integrity??? I mean, if there ever was something that somebody had a right to complain about, it’s the fact that they’re the target of a harassment campaign by tens to hundreds of individuals. Jesus Cripes.

I mean seriously, how can you argue that these women shouldn’t even mention what’s happening to them? Even if it were the case that women and men received the same quantity and kinds of online harassment, what’s so horrible about saying, “Yo, I wish I didn’t get e-mails about my getting violently anally raped”? Isn’t that a completely and utterly reasonable thing to want? Isn’t it a completely and utterly reasonable thing to call out when it happens?

Trollin' MRAs
Trollin' MRAs

I see “Anti-Feminist Tech” (beep boop) is trying to troll the hashtag.

I love how he’s a perfect example of the kind of creep feminists have to deal with, so he’s really not helping his cause. 😉 It’s also super easy it is to block people on Twitter. 😀

Brandon’s the other main one who seems to fail the test of mind; we’ve never gotten any statement out of him that acknowledges, directly or indirectly, that he knows other people might think or feel different things than him.

Pecunium

Arks: It’s sort of sad to see the way the gov’t of whatever place you live managed to waste money trying to educate you, but not as depressing as the thought you might have done the same when they were done spending taxpayer dollars on you.

Then again, I’m a vet, and I’ve got some stuff that I don’t like letting out of the hurt locker, but you, you weasly little dingleberry, don’t really know what that’s like, and are being cheap enough to use me, and mine, as pawns in your attempt to abuse women for the sort of shit your ilk dish out.

Spineless, gormless, worthless fuck, that’s you. If women don’t like being abused, tough-titty, right?

Wrong. People deserve better than that, and if your response is to say, “people are dicks, deal with it,” then the only real conclusion is you are a dick, and like it that way.

So you are an ass, and a moron, and a bully.

Which is to say, small minded, ill-witted and lacking in any aspect which could be called worthwhile; greatness is so much not in you as to make Robert E. Lee look like a patriot.

seranvali

Arks,

You really need to shut the hell up until know what you’re talking about. Vets with PTSD get triggered, women who’ve been raped and abused also get triggered. The sad thing is that it happens so very often to both groups and there is never enough support for either. I strongly suggest you put a sock in it until you’re grown up enough to actually empathize with other people’s pain.

cynickal
cynickal

Yeah, That’s what I figured a vet would say when they find someone using them as a shield so they can be a festering boil on the face of humanity.

Xanthe
Xanthe

Looks like the #mencallmethings hashtag may be going viral, with an article on stuff.nz:

Viscaria
Viscaria

I think, for some people, just ignore them and they’ll go away is a cleverly-disguised way of saying when you make me aware of the pain you’re in it makes me uncomfortable, and I’d really rather you’d stop. I’m sure there are some people who honestly feel like it’s a good strategy, but I don’t think it’s everyone.

Moewicus
Moewicus

On a side note, I think the Lesbian Hambeast may be related to the Woman’s Rationalizaton Hamster. Current research is inconclusive, though.

1 4 5 6 7 8 12