creepy douchebaggery evil women men who should not ever be with women ever misogyny

Twitter hashtag of the day: #MenCallMeThings, a catalogue of horrendous misogynist crap sent to women online

Twitter hashtag of the day: #mencallmethings, in which Women With Opinions on the Internet report some of the creepy, violent, threatening, misogynist things said to them in comments and emails by dudes on the Internet. GIANT TRIGGER WARNING for:  “whore,” “slut,” “cunt,” “fat cunt,” “ugly cunt,” “cunt bucket,” “cum dumpster,” “lesbian hambeast” (huh?), assorted threats of rape and murder —  the list goes on, and on, and on. I would post the, er, “highlights,” but, really, just go and look at it. This shit is relentless.

Holly Pervocracy

Oooh yeah. Let’s take a little look in Holly’s Moderation Queue Of Horrors!

You, who are supposedly conventionally unattractive and pretty fat (your words, not mine, if I’m wrong, correct me), are STILL capable of waltzing on OKCupid and drowning in dick. […] Fuck that, you little prick.

The arrogance of the wymyn here astounds me, quite frankly. You think you have the FUCKING God-given right to judge men, while simultaneously asserting your feminist SHIT to the world. Guess what? I don’t trust women. In my experience, in general they are arrogant, insufferable, opportunistic, stupid, worthless pieces of shit.

I’d so willingly be your slave-boy, girly. We could spend 100 yeeers, you 30/me 13, just you and me. That time, of course, wood go by fast and then I’d have to move on; but, yet, during that time, I’d give you the BIG-O maaaaaaaaany times, miss gorgeous.

(This one isn’t insulting, I guess, but it’s completely icky and inappropriate.)

I can’t find the quotes right now but I’ve also been called a “mangina” a hilarious number of times.

Naira
Naira

It reminds me of a blog post by a sci-fi author, imagining what his career would be like if everything were the same, except that he was a woman.

He commented that on his blog he’d only ever been called names a few times over the years, countable on his fingers. However, he imagined his female counterpart to have “bitch counter” on her blog that would be in the triple digits and get daily threats from creeps who promise to do to her “what a real man should have done a long time ago.”

Holly Pervocracy

By the way, the one about OkCupid was on a post where I made fun of guys who harassed me on OkCupid and wouldn’t take “I don’t want to talk to you” for an answer. So the gist was that I should count myself super lucky to have guys willing to violate my boundaries.

…yay.

BlackBloc
BlackBloc

Drowning in dicks = nightmarish mental images. Thank you, Internet!

Naira
Naira

@BlackBloc,

Thanks for making that explicit. I’ll file it away for future nightmares.

*shiver*

Feyline

Aw, Holly, I think MRAL graced your blog with a visit!

Holly Pervocracy

Feyline – You think so, you FUCK alpha womyn FUCK?

He’s far from my only troll, though.

hellkell
hellkell

Holly, the first two sound like our favorite pipsqueak MRAL.

Leslie
Leslie

Related: last week, one Nancy Miller started, and a few feministy bloggers picked up on, #threatoftheday, a hashtag for cataloging the daily threats that women who blog receive. Ideally with the poster’s real name attached. Also a great idea, though it lacks the popular appeal of #mencallmethings (as being called things by men does not require having your own blog).

Quackers
Quackers

Nope, no proof of any female oppression or discrimination here. It’s just normal day to day stuff women have to deal with, so stop complaining and make me a sammich.

Yea that’s pretty much how an MRA or run of the mill asshole would respond to this. It’s also related to the classic “ignore it and it will just magically stop” advice you’re given in gradeschool when being bullied.

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

You have to love how most sexist insults boil down to “you have a vagina” or “I want to fuck you”. The first is just sort of “yes, indeed you are correct – and?”. And the second is more like “why should I care if you don’t want to fuck me? I don’t want to fuck you either”.

Wetherby
Wetherby

I once hung out in forums where the female-to-male ratio was about 300:1. (My wife was a regular, and invited me in).

Like any other discussion forum, I took part in conversations, expressed my opinion, and got sucked into (and probably started) a few flamewars here and there. I certainly pissed off a small number of people at one point or another.

But not once did I get subjected to the kind of gendered personal abuse that’s being highlighted here. Even when I was pointing out things like blatant (albeit often unthinking) sexism on their part, which is blatantly lighting the blue touch paper.

This might have been because the average IQ/education level was reasonably high;
It might have been because my wife was one of the most popular posters there, so they pulled their punches for fear of riling her;
It might have been because the group policed itself well;
Or it might have been because men, as a rule, simply don’t get subjected to this kind of thing – certainly not routinely, and in many cases not ever.

Incidentally, I love being called a “mangina”, which has to be one of the great non-insults of our time. It has no effect on me whatsoever, while instantly labeling the person behind it as a misogynist buffoon.

Hershele Ostropoler

I’m fascinated by the reactions I’m seeing. Look at pretty much any of the tweets with the hashtag that aren’t examples of misogyny or metatweets promoting it. Mostly they’re either “well, people say mean shit on the Internet, deal with it” (which has two problems) or “this is trans-erasing.”

ozymandias42

Ugly. Slut. Auschwitz pussy. Hairy beast. Wouldn’t fuck you with someone else’s dick. Crazy feminist. Nineteen-year-old pretending to care about men’s rights. Ugly, rationalizing, unhitched and unhitchable. Spilt every ounce of your dignity on the floor. You have no tits and you’re ugly.

And, of course, the classic from NWO:

“Ozzy dearest, you wallow in shit and piss which you consider sex. Your blog consists of you talking about your pussy. You’re a millionaires daughter whose toughest choice is wether to wallow in piss or shit or both for this evenings festivities. You have no ethical beliefs. Your art is promoting menstrual finger painting. Your “truth” is whatever you “feel” at any given point in time. The “business” you run is talking about your pussy on your blog. You’re going to spend your entire life in college living off of daddies money. And you’re lecturing me?”

David K. Meller
David K. Meller

Maybe the internet is really men’s territory after all, and women (and the men who obey them) should find and populate separate havens such s “feminet” “girlynet”, “ladynet”, “girlkvetchnet” or something else along those lines that will ban posts from men, and let the girls–and wimmenz–play to their heart’s content.

Consider it a kind of cybernetic ‘wildlife preserve” for endangered women!

That way, both men and women could get along fine, right?

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

“Auschwitz pussy.”

The insults like this puzzle me. It’s like insult mad libs – I literally do not understand what this person was attempting to say, and I’m not sure he does either.

David K. Meller
David K. Meller

Ozy42–

NWO went a bit over the top there, but was it all any worse than the routine flaying that you—and your feminist friends–attack him with every time he comes on manboobz? The overt sexual content of his posts to you, is, I admit, disgusting, but the intent is understandable, even if his method there is wrong.

Holly Pervocracy

Well, when a person is skinny to the point where you’d just feel silly calling them fat, you have to insult their body somehow.

ozymandias42

The full sentence was “Your boyfriend is lying to you that you’re attractive because even Auschwitz pussy is better than no pussy at all.”

What’s odd is that since I started using gender-neutral pronouns online, suddenly my rate of being insulted for my appearance and sexuality went way down…

CassandraSays
CassandraSays

I’m just trying to parse the intended meaning. Your vagina is like a historical monument to atrocity? Tourists show up at your vagina and cry?

It’s not even insulting so much as just baffling.

Lauralot
Lauralot

My “favorite” misogynistic I’ve ever received was from a well-meaning friend asking “why I would dress like that if I didn’t want attention.” The clothing he was referring to was a long sleeved shirt that went up to my neck and wasn’t sheer at all. It did fit my form though, so I suppose having breasts and not hiding that they exist is asking for attention.

Lauralot
Lauralot

Urgh, that should be “misogynistic comment.”

Wetherby
Wetherby

Actually, I quite like calling it “a misogynistic”. It reminds me a bit of “a domestic” as shorthand for any kind of domestic argument from mildly raised voices to full-on DV.

Arks
Arks

“Of course #mencallmethings is triggering. That’s the point of saying this stuff to women: if we’re crying & scared, we’re not talking back.”

I still remember the first time I discovered the concept of triggering. It made me laugh then, it makes me laugh now. Only feminists in their funny little, overly-sensistive, self-important world think that being called a mean name or reading an article will give them crazy Vietnam flashbacks of harassment.

Well no dear, it doesn’t, and you have some serious perspective issues if it does. You don’t see vets trying to bubblewrap everything or throwing fits every time they come across violence in the media, even though they’ve experienced hardship you will never imagine. That’s actual hardship, not just having their feewings hurt. The world doesn’t exist specifically to cater to your ridiculous demands, and whining for it to do so is just idiotic.

Joanna

I love the “why are you out of the kitchen?” remark. It’s just not an insult. You might as well try and insult the guy with “Why aren’t you bringing home the bacon / opening a jar of pickles / wrestling a bear?” etc.

1 2 3 12